DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved a cabin shell onto a pier floor system with no interior walls. Wife is asking why not put hardwood floor (nail down- full 3/4") prior to interior walls? No load bearing walls present at all.

Was in the trade for 15 yrs and sometimes I just stick to convention for no other reason. I've never seen it done, but does she have a point? I do not have a reason why not that makes sense. She's a sharp cookie and cannot be BS'd. Why not screw down the sole plate for interior walls?:vs_bulb:

Thanks,
Bohunck

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
#1, There bottom plates not sole plates.
#2 There never screwed down, there nailed down.
Concider engineered flooring or at least prefinished hardwood instead of finished on site.
Walked on the same day, no smell, no dust, far harder finish.
Wood floors expand and contract and gaps would open up if there was a wall nailed over them.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,667 Posts
I would not do it. Floor installers take great precautions to guard against damage from expansion and contraction. Smaller areas mean less overall movement and just opposite with lager spaces.

I don't think the time saved is worth the risk of possible future problems.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Concider engineered flooring or at least prefinished hardwood instead of finished on site.
Walked on the same day, no smell, no dust, far harder finish.
There is NOTHING that compares with a sand on site Hardwood floor. The glass like contiguous surface. The micro bevel of prefinished is just a dirt/dust/crumb trap.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
If you have no plans to just move right in.
I would go with the unfinished floor.
I've never seen finished floors installed before the walls.

I take that back, I have in trailers.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,667 Posts
There is NOTHING that compares with a sand on site Hardwood floor. The glass like contiguous surface. The micro bevel of prefinished is just a dirt/dust/crumb trap.

When most hear the term "cabin", we think a little rustic. Not exactly pristine, glass like hardwood floors. But that's your choice. Be prepared to keep the inside humidity constant within 30 - 50% all year long or closer like the mfg will recommend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.