DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a stone wall that I am putting a 4x6 PT lumber as wall cap (as shown in the picture)

I am drilling 1/2” hole for tapcon and hammer drill with masonry drill bit doesn’t work! I think the rock is too hard. I drilled for several minutes but didnt see the hole getting deeper and started to worry about drill to overheat. Any suggestions?

Wood Rectangle Hardwood Flooring Wood stain

·
Remodel and New Build GC
11,484 Posts
YEP.... Drilling rock can be very difficult as different rocks can be very dense and hard.

Can't see your drill....is it a full hammer drill with SDS bits...or one of those "hammer" drills that just has a little cam rotation. You may not be able to drill certain rock, but a bosch bulldog SDS rotary hammer may do it..

Not sure why you'd be drilling 1/2 holes for tapcons...????

How about glueing those timbers in.????

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YEP.... Drilling rock can be very difficult as different rocks can be very dense and hard.

Can't see your drill....is it a full hammer drill with SDS bits...or one of those "hammer" drills that just has a little cam rotation. You may not be able to drill certain rock, but a bosch bulldog SDS rotary hammer may do it..

Not sure why you'd be drilling 1/2 holes for tapcons...????

How about glueing those timbers in.????
I am using a cheap HF hammer drill. Probably should look into tool rental. I let the timbers dry and one of them is slightly warped. I was hoping screwing tapcon will straighten it.

·
Naildriver
18,742 Posts
You're not going to straighten a timber with a tapcon. Never seen a 1/2" tapcon work. I would use a Titen by Simpson strongtie

OR a Redhead in 8" length.

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,595 Posts
By the time the bit stops bouncing around in the granite (?) the tapcon may just pull out. You need something such as the suggested red head where the body wedges in the hole and then a nut can be tightened down.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Also, you need to blow out the dust often.

I don't think the tapcons will work, either. And that wall cap is going to try and do all sorts of pulling and wiggling over time. But good luck!

·
Super Moderator
13,479 Posts
I've only used the blue Tapcons but they have them from 3/8-3/4" (not blue) and although I've never used the wider diameters I don't see why they wouldn't work just fine.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
That’s a pretty stout cap on the wall. Why so thick? And the wood is going to drive the bus ... no way you can take the warp out with tapcons, the wood will break loose the stones.

·
Registered
375 Posts
SDS drill + SDS bits

A decade ago, doing some improvements, I was getting nowhere fast drilling into some reinforce concrete with my trusted ordinary corded hammer drill, old bit, brand new bit ... both sides of the wall ... anchors into foundation ... 100% fail trying. Did some research. Bit the bullet, got a medium duty Bosch SDS corded drill and some average SDS bit kit. Within a minute I finished old and brand new holes I couldn't drill nor finish within 30-60 min using a hammer drill.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I picked up a bosch bulldog at a pawn shop for $75 one of the best purchases I ever made. I also second the Simpson strong tie anchors I've had great results with those.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts