DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add some security cameras to my home. I already have a large server with plenty of storage that I will run the software on (thinking Blue Iris), but I'm having a hard time selecting the cameras. The reviews for anything that doesn't totally break the bank are either "best everrrrr" or "worst camera!".

Looking for suggestions for both exterior and interior, preferably wireless, but with the capability to hard-wire as well. Thoughts?

·
JOATMON
17,228 Posts
I have the Lorex wireless setup....

But I would suggest going wired. Update rate is a lot faster and you can get HD vs standard resolution. Look at PoE....Power over Ethernet. You still have to get power to a wireless camera, might as well go PoE.

Swan and Lorex are both good brands.

If you have a Costco near you, go visit them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Lorex wireless setup....

But I would suggest going wired. Update rate is a lot faster and you can get HD vs standard resolution. Look at PoE....Power over Ethernet. You still have to get power to a wireless camera, might as well go PoE.

Swan and Lorex are both good brands.

If you have a Costco near you, go visit them.
I have a very beefy wireless setup that wont have issues with several HD channels, but since i need power anyway, PoE is a great idea. Still have to run the ethernet though as opposed to just power to a nearby receptacle. Unfortunately my home is is multi story with as finished basement, so running cables is extremely annoying. I am a costco member though so ill definitely stop by there.

·
JOATMON
17,228 Posts
I have a very beefy wireless setup that wont have issues with several HD channels, but since i need power anyway, PoE is a great idea. Still have to run the ethernet though as opposed to just power to a nearby receptacle. Unfortunately my home is is multi story with as finished basement, so running cables is extremely annoying. I am a costco member though so ill definitely stop by there.
So you think. Wait until you have 4 camera's going at the same time and try to stream a movie.

I have a beefy dual channel wireless router....and when all the kids are on their kindles....and my son is playing XBox....the lag is pretty obvious.

Here is a little primer for you

http://www.securitycameraking.com/securityinfo/wired-vs-wireless-cameras/

·
Registered
23 Posts
So you think. Wait until you have 4 camera's going at the same time and try to stream a movie.

I have a beefy dual channel wireless router....and when all the kids are on their kindles....and my son is playing XBox....the lag is pretty obvious.

Here is a little primer for you

http://www.securitycameraking.com/securityinfo/wired-vs-wireless-cameras/

You should be using motion and turning the cameras off when home for the most part.

With today's technology motion acitvated is fine. Cameras fire on motion, a picture and video snippet are immediately uploaded to a cloud and emailed or texted out to you.

·
JOATMON
17,228 Posts
You should be using motion and turning the cameras off when home for the most part.

With today's technology motion acitvated is fine. Cameras fire on motion, a picture and video snippet are immediately uploaded to a cloud and emailed or texted out to you.
Of course.....

But once motion has been detected and you want to record the result....not parts of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.