DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using DensShield in a Tub/Shower installation. The boards are up and my next step is sealing the seams, edges and openings. Seams will be mesh and thin-set, as per the mfr's instructions. For the edges and openings they advise caulking (and many people insist on 100% silicone). However, caulking doesn't really stick to cut edges of DensShield or the inside of holes cut for plumbing!

I tested both 100% silicone and DAP Dynaflex 230 (love that stuff!) on scrap pieces of DensShield. I found that:
(a) the Dynaflex sticks to finished surfaces of the board (front, back, edges) better than silicone;
(b) neither sticks well to cut edges.

So how is caulking going to effectively seal any of the cut edges or holes? Won't the caulking just separate from the raw cut edges over time? (Note that I did send a query to the mfr. GP about this several days ago but haven't received a reply.)

My tentative plan is to use Dynaflex 230 for raw edges and holes and then to cover the caulked joint with RedGard. (Apparently RedGard doesn't stick to silicone anyway.)

Has anyone else tried to resolve this issue? Does my plan sound valid? Any suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking forward to trying Urethane on something because it sounds awesome. But have you tried it on a chalky surface? That's the problem with DensShield, it's chalky. Thin-set will stick to it OK, and probably Durabond. But they're not sealants. What brands of urethane have you used?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.