DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a crappy sketch of what I'm trying to sort out in my head. I have to hustle and get a front porch/steps with handrail(s) very soon. (It's an insurance thing.) I have about 50 cinder blocks out there to use, so I'm trying to design something using them and maybe some 2X8 GCPT lumber I already have as steps and landing.
Would I cement the blocks to the concrete pad? (At least THAT'S already there.) What type of cement do I need to use for this? This pic is not to scale either, I need them to be about 4' wide and the top landing should be about the same. (4'x4'ish) Any ideas? I only have a couple of weeks to do this.

Thanks for looking!

DM

Attachments

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it needs to be done on time to transfer insurance companies.

DM

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Use a cement mortar mix and joint spacers to keep a nice uniform 3/8 ‘’ mortar joint spacing between the block. This will also keep the weight of the blocks from crushing the joints and give you a consistent look.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
The concern that I have always had with block steps is that unless you compensate for them with treads and landings of various thickness, you have an 8" step, which I feel is too high, particularly for exterior steps where rain, snow, etc. are considerations. Also, I had thought that 8" risers exceeded code, but I have seen so many of them lately that I am bginning to doubt myself, so maybe Ron, Gary, or someone else can address that part of it. Another thing that you will want to consider is water that could get between the boards, and inside of the blocks, where it would then freeze, which could be addressed possibly by coring the blocks or using a membrane between the blocks and the lumber. How will you anchor the lumber to the blocks?

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess the blocks are going to be more trouble than it's worth.....
Now I have to figure out how to do it on posts. The problem there is I only have a 3' x 8' pad.
If I make a landing, I wanted it to be 4' x 4'. That would mean digging down 42" for the front two posts, and drilling concrete to attach the back posts securely. UNLESS it's ok to only make the landing 3' deep? Then I could use post holders all around and attach a stringer for the steps. BUT.... is there a minimum width for entry stairs? The sidewalk leading to the pad is 3' wide. I'm thinking it'd be ok to rest the stringers on the edges of the sidewalk?
The handrail will likely be the hardest part.

DM

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
The wood decking could be cantilevered 12" off a girder --that would give you the 48" landing without the digging.

Just a thought,---36" landing is minimum width per code,I believe, However that will be to narrow for a 36" door swing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts