DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a house, did not really spot this or think much of it until just now. Has someone attempted to force this open in the past?

The house is in a good, quiet area. Not that that will stop someone of course.

I guess improve the locks and get a new handle?

Wood Door Automotive tire Automotive exterior Water

·
Naildriver
17,652 Posts
Something definitely has happened. I have a difficult time seeing what you see, except for the actual damage. Can we see a picture of the door from further back?

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,430 Posts
If that is your front door lock is certainly is the lowest grade lock set I have ever seen on a front door. I vote for calling a lock smith and having it replaced especially the part in the jam.

You may be in for a door and jam change. Like I said I have never seen that kind of lock on a standard front door in my short life. Moving on past 71.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wouldn't call that the lowest grade lock. If you're thinking US deadbolt shape, those are not common in EU. The door may have a three or five set of sliding bolts instead of just one.

But, yes, somebody certainly put his boot against that door in the past.

You could probably carefully hammer the bent plate back into shape, so you don't have any rattles. Still seems plenty functional. And the door part rather cosmetic. As long as it closes and locks properly plus seals well, I'd not be alarmed or in a hurry to get that replaced ... if as you say it is a safe neighborhood. Etc. You can always upgrade it later after more important things are taken care of.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Agree with @icerabbit , not low grade.
In the states that would be an aftermarket strike, usually installed after a break-in or an attempt.

·
Banned
14,584 Posts
I might wonder if the door was just installed incorrectly and the strike was adjusted to fit. Except for the fact that the door (and lockset) itself is cracked, which would seem to be a dead giveaway that it had been forced (or at least attempted).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't call that the lowest grade lock. If you're thinking US deadbolt shape, those are not common in EU. The door may have a three or five set of sliding bolts instead of just one.

But, yes, somebody certainly put his boot against that door in the past.

You could probably carefully hammer the bent plate back into shape, so you don't have any rattles. Still seems plenty functional. And the door part rather cosmetic. As long as it closes and locks properly plus seals well, I'd not be alarmed or in a hurry to get that replaced ... if as you say it is a safe neighborhood. Etc. You can always upgrade it later after more important things are taken care of.
thanks. Yeah I’ll be upgrading the locks asap anyway. And I have a new handle coming soon. The door will be replaced in the near future anyway

1 - 12 of 12 Posts