DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Has anyone personally painted by hand (brush or roller) over lacquered cabinets with an oil based paint???

Our white lacquered cabinets are too yellow. Want to go with something I can do my self (without spraying). The top coat that is on the cabinets now is Valspar Luster Lac Premium "Water White" Lacquer 680 VOC - 20 Sheen.

The finish is not peeling or anything just yellowed badly. There a few hairline cracks I need to fill at the joints also.

Read alot of maybe, this maybe that advice. This is a big job and I want to be sure it will work. Anyone with experience in doing this, Please help?

What brand of wood filler (is elmers okay or do I need an oil based filler?)
What type of primer did you use?
Oil Based Paint, but what particular kind?

Thanks in advance for your help, Kay

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have done it and looked fine. You must sand first (I use an orbital sander with 220 grit and a vacuum hooked to it) then use filler for cracks. You will never totally hide the brush marks but no one but you and maybe a pro will know the difference. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Latex just has such a bad wrap from everything I read, did not want to go that route. Yellowing being the problem with oil too, I may have to. Have seen some good things about Impervo. Thanks so much for your replies, Kay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts