DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 1" wide oak hardwood flooring and would like to cover it with 3 1/2" wide cherry wood.

Do I have to put plywood down or can I install it directly over the old flooring?

what other prep do I need to do?

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hardwood over 1" wide flooring

Not the best way to install your new floor. Technically, you could glue an engineered floor over your existing strip flooring if you run the new floor perpendicular to the old one, but chances are the new layout won't look right in your home. Plus, old 1" strip flooring typically has gapped up quite a bit and many times isn't fastened all too tightly.

Cherry is expesive, so I'd recommend installing a new plywood subfloor and doing the job right. Hope this helps!

Wood Floor Guy :thumbup:

www.woodfloorsforyou.com

I currently have 1" wide oak hardwood flooring and would like to cover it with 3 1/2" wide cherry wood.

Do I have to put plywood down or can I install it directly over the old flooring?

what other prep do I need to do?

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, woodflooringguy,

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to put down the plywood first, however doing the job right is more important than getting the job done. I appreciate the helpful comments. Thanks again.

Shorteared :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts