DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

had my hardwood floors refinished in June, came out great

dropped something in kitchen, gouged it....

put wood filler, and the correct stain, looked great

24 hours later added satin finish minwax polyurethane....

well apparently when my floors were done they used a matte poly, because that spot I repaired is much more shiny then the rest of the floor, I cant leave it like that

should I sand it down? or just put matte poly right on top?

any advice appreciated

thanks

:vs_mad::vs_mad:

·
Registered
10,137 Posts
Are you using the same type of poly they used the first time? I mean oil-based or water-based?

How big is the gouge?

Can you post a photo?

Even if you use the same type and same sheen of poly, it will look a bit different because the original poly will have "aged" a bit due to sunlight, dirt, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you using the same type of poly they used the first time? I mean oil-based or water-based?

How big is the gouge?

Can you post a photo?

Even if you use the same type and same sheen of poly, it will look a bit different because the original poly will have "aged" a bit due to sunlight, dirt, etc.
it was oil based poly....we did it a month before we moved in and the smell still lingered, lol

I'm almost certain they used satin sheen poly but the difference is very noticeable so I'm led to believe they used a matte...

I can sand it lightly to reduce the sheen? or go right over it with matte?

heres a pic, its been filled with wood filler and stained

Attachments

·
Registered
10,137 Posts
It is common to use gloss for the first few coats of poly as gloss is generally more durable than matte. Then apply matte on top of the gloss.

How many coats of poly did they apply originally?

Sure, you can sand it down a bit and try the matte over the top. At this point, what do you have to lose?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok thanks

wasn't sure if I had to sand it or just go right over, and also was not sure if the glossiness of the satin will still be visible through the matte

2 coats originally

the company swears they used semi gloss, but no way did they, they don't shine like semi gloss would and the satin is much shinier

1 - 5 of 5 Posts