DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a board that sits perceptibly lower than its neighbors on one end. It is right where I put a bare foot as I turn toward my Lazyboy. House is 10 yrs old on a crawlspace, boards are #3 oak, stained coffee. It doesn't squeak but it does bug me. How can I raise it up?

·
Super Moderator
22,998 Posts
Do any o f the boards around the spot move when walked on? If not then the best option might be to sand the sharp edge round and touch up the finish.

·
Registered
12,716 Posts
I wonder why this one board is low compared to the adjacent ones. Maybe try drilling a hole through just the subfloor—not the board—and screwing a blunt nose screw (grind off the tip) through the hole, to see if you can "jack up" the board?

·
Super Moderator
22,998 Posts
We need to know if the board flexes in relation to other boards around it. It is likely tongue and groove and it is solid. If that is the case then no amount of under shimming will bring it back to level.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I wonder if the wood was prefinished and one board was different. That is one reason that I like unfinished flooring that is sanded after installation.

Reactions: Fix'n it

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After installing, the boards cupped badly. The floor was resanded and refinished and the crawl space covered in plastic. That was 10 years ago, I am just noticing this issue now, IDK why - it is in a trafficked area.
I doubt I could find the correct spot to drill up from underneath without drilling a pilot hole down from up top, which should be pretty easy to cover up. If there is a solution.

·
Registered
12,716 Posts
Looks like there's a small chip on the next board that could help disguise a pilot hole if you can find a very narrow bit, like maybe 1/16"—assuming the bit is long enough to go through boards and subfloor!
Wood Rectangle Flooring Font Hardwood

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
do you have some kind of jack that you can get in the crawlspace ? like a bottle jack maybe.
Yes.
I saw a gadget on This Old House with a break-away screw but it was for squeaking floorboards. Sounds like raising one up is a more serious problem.

·
Registered
13,637 Posts
Yes.
I saw a gadget on This Old House with a break-away screw but it was for squeaking floorboards. Sounds like raising one up is a more serious problem.
ok. you would have to get a thin'ish piece of pipe or bar, 1/2" ?. drill a hole just big enough for that to fit in, from below of course. then some smaller holes around it, 1/4" ?. use the pipe and jack to raise that board to just the right height. then use glue in a caulk gun to force glue into the smaller holes. let dry a day or 2. pull out jack and pipe and put glue in that hole.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts