DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Crew,
New here but couldn't find a similar question on the forum. I'd like to install some LED strip lighting in a built-in bookshelf I'm making. It sits in a nook on my stairs with ~ 1" of space on each side. I want to hard-wire the lights in and the only source of electricity is an overhead light close by. I figure I can run another wire to a new electrical box behind the trim of the book case to get power, but I'm unsure of the requirements for the line between the new electrical box and the transformer. Can I just... run a bit of romex in there? Does it have to be metal-jacketed or something? It's probably going to be 2' long, but I know it doesn't feel right. Is there some special in-wall rated cable I need to use? Help me out here :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Extending an existing circuit with NM cable or a MC cable is fine. Locate a new box for a receptacle where it will be accessible and plug the LEDs in there.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Sounds good to me... providing the line voltage romex fed from the junction box to the transformer lands on an approved junction box on the transformer or else the transformer line side is mounted directly to a junction box so the line voltage junctions are not openly exposed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right - so I guess that's the question. I was planning on hard-wiring it but getting all the splices into a junction box might be harder than just installing a new recessed-mount outlet and getting a setup that just plugs in. It's basically a permanent install, but they both sound equally safe.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I would think you could just get one of the small plug-in units that would output the proper power to run that string. That would be easy-peasy.

GL with the task.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That definitely unifies the electrical connection and the transformer part. I'm down the rabbit hole now on watts per foot and wiring without voltage dropoff and a few other things. I think I've got what I need but the internet is full of too many options so I'm pondering a few things still. Thanks all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts