DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do I need to paint hardiplank in North Carolina and does paint quality make a difference (eg SW Duration v. Superpaint)?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
How often do I need to paint hardiplank in North Carolina and does paint quality make a difference (eg SW Duration v. Superpaint)?
Paint quality always makes a difference.
You paint it as often as needed.
The cheaper the paint the more frequently you paint it.
As a corrollary, the less you prep for painting, the more frequently you paint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. We purchased a home that was was new construction painted hardiplank in 2004 but paint colors were mismatched on the front and I think the paint used was SW Superpaint. I thought 8-10 years was a reasonable repaint schedule for hardiplank and am wondering if I should just try and repaint the front where the mismatch is or whether at 7 years I should go ahead and repaint (the trim is wood which needs to be painted anyway). I am also wondering if Duration paint (and color) will hold up better in the sun here?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. We purchased a home that was was new construction painted hardiplank in 2004 but paint colors were mismatched on the front and I think the paint used was SW Superpaint. I thought 8-10 years was a reasonable repaint schedule for hardiplank and am wondering if I should just try and repaint the front where the mismatch is or whether at 7 years I should go ahead and repaint (the trim is wood which needs to be painted anyway). I am also wondering if Duration paint (and color) will hold up better in the sun here?
I'd look at Consumer's Reports for the latest paint gradings. As I recall Behr did very well. No idea about Sherwin Williams.
Can't say whether to paint just the side or the whole house as I have no idea of the shape.

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
Hardiplank paint jobs last a good 8-10 years. Some Hardieplank suffered from poor primer applied at the factory and the finish paints applied to that showed areas of discoloration. On new Hardie I now apply SW's Loxon primer before painting. This assures a more even finish and protects you from the possibility of poor factory primer issues. I would use SW's SuperPaint before I would use any BEHR paint. Behr is junk, IMO.

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
Ron6519;679809[COLOR=red said:
]I'd look at Consumer's Reports for the latest paint gradings.:eek:[/COLOR] As I recall Behr did very well. No idea about Sherwin Williams.
Can't say whether to paint just the side or the whole house as I have no idea of the shape.

Good to use for toilet paper but even that's not so good, to rough:laughing:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts