DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need to use 16/2 wire to power Serena automatic blinds. I went to home depot and saw there were all kinds of 16/2 gauge low voltage wire. For example, there are
16/2 gauge lamp wire
16/2 gauge fire alarm cable
16/2 gauge speaker cable

What cable should I use for the low voltage wiring?

Thanks for the help! :smile:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hi all,

I need to use 16/2 wire to power Serena automatic blinds. I went to home depot and saw there were all kinds of 16/2 gauge low voltage wire. For example, there are
16/2 gauge lamp wire
16/2 gauge fire alarm cable
16/2 gauge speaker cable

What cable should I use for the low voltage wiring?

Thanks for the help! :smile:
Since you have not yet received a 'local' reply, I will try to assist you from a distance.

While you refereed to "Serena automatic blinds", I have been able to locate only "Serena Motorized Shades", and this site is now "down for maintenance until 7 AM EST."

(However, before that site went down, I did note that the "Shades" demonstrated were battery powered, operated via a Remote Control and, hence, did not require any wiring.)

If, as you stated, the items concerned do require "low voltage wire", you cannot use anything less than "16/2 gauge lamp wire", since "low voltage" is the normal North American domestic supply voltage of 120 V (or anything up to 1000 V AC - which you may find surprising!)

It may be that the voltage used by the blinds concerned is "extra low voltage", which is a voltage of less than 50 V AC or 120 V DC.
For this, you could use 16/2 gauge fire alarm cable (but, I would not) or 16/2 gauge speaker cable, if this looks better than the 16/2 gauge lamp wire.

16/2 gauge lamp wire could be used for both "low voltage" and "extra low voltage" applications.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
All the ones I've seen use a transformer to convert AC to DC. Some models use a remote transformer and an adapter that replaces the batteries. There may be current models and methods that I've not seen.

Any wiring you add that carries AC voltage must conform to standard house wiring for the rated breaker size. Once it is converted you may use the 16/2 wire for low voltage to carry the current from transformer to blind. 16/2 is 16/2. Use whichever has the best look / price value for your situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the ones I've seen use a transformer to convert AC to DC. Some models use a remote transformer and an adapter that replaces the batteries. There may be current models and methods that I've not seen.

Any wiring you add that carries AC voltage must conform to standard house wiring for the rated breaker size. Once it is converted you may use the 16/2 wire for low voltage to carry the current from transformer to blind. 16/2 is 16/2. Use whichever has the best look / price value for your situation.
Thank you all. Yes, I'm looking at purchasing the CSPS-P1-10 transformer that converts up to 10 blinds to low voltage. I know you say 16/2 is 16/2, but which 16/2 wire do you recommend for this type of installation? Is speaker cable (class 2 for in-wall) the best option?

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Yes, I'm looking at purchasing the CSPS-P1-10 transformer that converts up to 10 blinds to low voltage.
The instructions for that transformer tell you to use CL2, CL2P, CL2R, or CL2X cable. Or cables with equivelent or higher ratings.

(That's for the transformer to blinds.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts