DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before posting, did a lot of searching...could not find anything relating to these systems.

having two new systems installed : AS SILVER 14 (same as trane XR14 i was told), one 2 ton the other 3 ton.

the 2 ton comes with a pre-installed start-kit; for the 3 ton, it is listed as an OPTIONAL ACCESSORY, part BAYKSKT263

q1: why does the smaller unit have a factory installed and not the 3 ton unit?

q2, curiosity aside, if the 3 does not come with a factory kit, should i assume it is not needed?

q3. while there is no clear answer on the need, is it a good idea to get one installed anyway? (if i can find the parts, so far no luck)

thanks

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I'm not real familiar with the models your talking about but you do not have to have a start kit. Most of your higher end models have a start kit installed (they may not call it a start kit) Its just a relay and a start capacitor. It assists the compressor in starting, that's all it does. The one advantage to buying a manufacturers start kit is it would just be plug and play so to speak. But you don't have to buy one, if you want one installed you can make your own by installing a start relay and start capacitor.

·
Registered
15,580 Posts
q1: why does the smaller unit have a factory installed and not the 3 ton unit?

q2, curiosity aside, if the 3 does not come with a factory kit, should i assume it is not needed?

q3. while there is no clear answer on the need, is it a good idea to get one installed anyway? (if i can find the parts, so far no luck)
The type of compressor installed dictates whether a hard start is needed.

Reciprocating compressors need hard start kits when installed on a txv coil which prevents equalization when the unit shuts down.

Scrolls do not.

Most manufacturers are 100% scroll through the entire line.

I know just from seeing the specs that trane and york like to use recips in their smaller units.

The recip from studies I've seen is is a little more efficient in the smaller machines, 3 ton is break even point and above that the scroll is more efficient.

What the designing engineers do to get the seer rating varies; combination of compressor types, coil sizes, motors (ecm vs psc), TXV vs piston. Depends on the manufacturer.

·
Administrator
42,395 Posts
You may have a Climatuff recip compressor in the 2 ton, and a Climatuff scroll compressor in the 3 ton.

Look at both compressors, is the 2 ton wider then the 3 ton. Or post pics of them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not real familiar with the models your talking about but you do not have to have a start kit. Most of your higher end models have a start kit installed (they may not call it a start kit) Its just a relay and a start capacitor. It assists the compressor in starting, that's all it does. The one advantage to buying a manufacturers start kit is it would just be plug and play so to speak. But you don't have to buy one, if you want one installed you can make your own by installing a start relay and start capacitor.
i can get the kit (listed as optional) but the questions when should that option be exercised?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may have a Climatuff recip compressor in the 2 ton, and a Climatuff scroll compressor in the 3 ton.

Look at both compressors, is the 2 ton wider then the 3 ton. Or post pics of them.
they are both scroll (per specs)
however, the 2-ton is CLAIMAUFF scroll, the 3-ton is DURATION scroll

i will check on the dimensions and get pics if i can without dis-assembling

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The type of compressor installed dictates whether a hard start is needed.

Reciprocating compressors need hard start kits when installed on a txv coil which prevents equalization when the unit shuts down.

Scrolls do not.

Most manufacturers are 100% scroll through the entire line.

I know just from seeing the specs that trane and york like to use recips in their smaller units.

The recip from studies I've seen is is a little more efficient in the smaller machines, 3 ton is break even point and above that the scroll is more efficient.

What the designing engineers do to get the seer rating varies; combination of compressor types, coil sizes, motors (ecm vs psc), TXV vs piston. Depends on the manufacturer.
first in terms of listed specs- they both scroll...

indeed, there are so many variables ....and i thought i might get find people here who have some direct knowledge of this unit.

the model is 4a7a4036L
(marketed as SILVER 14)

·
Administrator
42,395 Posts
Neither of them need a hard start kit then. A hard start kit on a scroll is usually only to increase SEER.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.