DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I have an old Craftsman dual miter (it was a gift) and that has always been my complaint with it. You could spend an hour setting it perfect and after about 4 cuts it was out again.

·
DIY Padawan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
Okay, I realize that I'll probably get a lot of sneers and jeers for this - along with just as many "why would you . . . " comments, but I'm still curious as to whether anyone here has any experience with Harbor Freight's 10" Table Saw:

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-13-amp-industrial-bench-table-saw-68827.html

I've read many of the reviews on the product page - and there doesn't yet appear to be any on the HF REVIEWS website. Nevertheless, I am much more interested in any thoughts/comments from any of you who might have some first-hand (or even second/third hand) knowledge or experience with this product.

(not looking to do any professional (or even semi-professional) jobs with it - purely home-hobby level DIY stuff).

THANKS !!!
(as I run to hide behind a tree to avoid the backlash)

:whistling2:

·
Super Moderator
12,439 Posts
I have a couple of the “Ace Hardware” version of that saw. They cost and look the same as that one. Delta also has a saw at that price.

I use one for cutting cedar shingles/shakes when I'm in the air on scaffolding. The other has dado blades in it which I sometimes need on site but that's rare.

As long as it's used for light duty work it's ok for 1x stock, it cuts 2x fine too if you take it easy and don't push it. Push it hard and you “will” burn it up quickly. I look at those saws as “disposable”.

The fence sucks but for light duty hobby use there's nothing wrong with those saws.

Ditch the stock and buy a decent blade.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I also had one similar to that---Like Ron said--it's light duty and the fence is sloppy---but I used it until I wore it out----

For occasional use---with some time wasted setting the fence---you will get your moneys worth out of it---

·
DIY Padawan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
At long last, I'm FINALLY ready to start learning/working with my router. The only thing I need now are router bits. As a BEGINNER WITH A BUDGET, I wanted to get some thoughts/feedback as to whether anyone here has any experience with Harbor Freight's carbide-tip router bits (see link below).

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piec...its-46832.html

It looks like a decent set to start off with - but I would still like to get some thoughts from the community here.

THANKS !!! - Looking forward to any feedback you can provide.

·
Bill Kearney
2,003 Posts
When you know what size and profile bit you need for your router go out and get a decent one. If you're just noodlin' around knocking corners off something then the HF stuff might be sufficient. But if you need to a lot of edges you'll come to regret using cheap stuff and/or not having a spare one handy. I rounded over quite a few cedar boards for my boy's backyard playset. I have an HF set. The bit lost it's sharpness pretty quick, maybe after about a dozen edges. I went out and got two better quality ones. Figuring it's more hassle to have to stop and go get another bit... The rest of the job didn't even put a dent in the better quality bit, so I still have another brand new spare. So for just an occasional bit of edging, sure, the HF set beats nothing... but not for any kind of quantity.

·
DIY Padawan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
. I have an HF set. The bit lost it's sharpness pretty quick, maybe after about a dozen edges. I went out and got two better quality ones. Figuring it's more hassle to have to stop and go get another bit... The rest of the job didn't even put a dent in the better quality bit . . .
Out of curiosity, what better-quality brand/bit did you pick up?

·
Bill Kearney
2,003 Posts
Out of curiosity, what better-quality brand/bit did you pick up?
Yeah, I knew that'd get asked. I can't recall, and all of the stuff is packed up for when we move into the new house this weekend. Realistically I won't see those bits again until Christmas... hopefully of THIS year!

But I got them at a local building supply place, one that tends to avoid selling the lower end tools. Where I trying to decide I'd visit forums that focus on the kind of work involved. I'm sure various woodworking forums would have a lot of great input based on the kinds of woods involved.

·
Super Moderator
12,439 Posts
Freud, Diablo, Vermont America are all in my box. I don't think I've ever seeked out a particular brand as much as just being satisfied that the hardware store had the profile I needed that day.

I own quite a few individual bits that cost more than that HF set. I just paid $40 for the Freud version of that cove bit with bearing they're showing.

I agree with just buy a quality bit for whatever profile you need for the project at hand, your collection will grow in time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there anywhere I can get model numbers and parts for Chicago Electric tools. Trying to work with Chicago Electric is an absolute joke. You stay on the telephone and let it ring and finally it just hangs up. If you can get through to them they will tell you they don't carry that part. Five times I have gotten through just to be told they don't have a model number and they don't carry that item. Is there any help out there?

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
If you do not buy Chicago Electric, you won't have parts problems with them.

While some on the board might defend them, I think the majority will agree that you should not buy them.

Toss it, put your money towards buying a better tool.

·
World's Tallest Midget
1,467 Posts
I didn't realize Chicago Electric had any tools that were worth repairing.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hard to turn down a $10 angle grinder, which I have had for about 8 years. I use it once a year. 8 times. Still works. I have a $28 hammer drill I have used about 20 times, putting electrical conduit and boxes on concrete block walls. Last time I used it was for drilling about a dozen 1/4 inch holes in 6x6 landscape timbers so I had pilot holes to drive 8 inch spikes into the timber below them. The drill still works.

I have a super old reciprocating saw from HF that I bought 9 years ago. I cut a tire off the rim of a 15 inch wheel with it until it started smoking. Put it aside, figured it was burned up, then on a lark used it to cut some lumber, Still works.

Chicago Electric is cheap. Don't buy it if you make a living off your tools. For me, eh, they work fine.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts