DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

nathan told me to say a little about myself so here goes:)

Not saying my age but my son got married last weekend!
I'm a journeyman floorlayer and have a fair bit of experience in a number of other trades. I'm also a store owner but am not here to sell anything but rather offer what help i can for DIY guys and gals to make informed decisions on what options are out there and why. I love a little humor, love a little golf, ummmm ...... ok a LOT of golf if i had the time. I think this a great site and hope you all have a blast planning first then doing it right.
Good Luck :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you ever "flipped" a house? I'm looking for help deciding how much a $100,000 house needing: kitchen, bathroom, and new hardwood floors in order to return it to it's "glory. My research on houses in this neighborhood sell between 90,000 and $100,000. What are your thoughts on the most you would spend on a flip needing these things?

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Have fun in the flooring section! Lots of differing opinions.

DM

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
etobia - sorry, tried to 'flip a few but by the time I corrected everything I thought should be done to be proud of the place I spent everything I got back on the sale plus worked for next to nothing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What would u have done differently?

etobia - sorry, tried to 'flip a few but by the time I corrected everything I thought should be done to be proud of the place I spent everything I got back on the sale plus worked for next to nothing.
Sounds like u missed on your estimate on what needed to be done. what if u had the insurance claim list of things needing restoration. Would that have made it easier to estimate a profit? I wonder how contractors manage to make a living doing this?

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,940 Posts
Anyway, welcome Harryj, I'm just a worn out, old, carpet and vinyl installer. Been around since Dinosaurs ruled the earth.

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
Sounds like u missed on your estimate on what needed to be done. what if u had the insurance claim list of things needing restoration. Would that have made it easier to estimate a profit? I wonder how contractors manage to make a living doing this?
Here is the key.
I corrected everything I thought should be done to be proud of the place
In "flipping' houses in certain economical levels, you have to become very objective in your evaluations. Not everyone is willing to pay for what might be your own personal level of pride.

That sounds horrible I know, but it's a realistic statement right now.

And, Yes, Rusty is very old. Be gentle with him.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
easy to make profit, harder to have win/win. I new what needed to be done legally..... unfortunately for my wallet i needed to do what i would do in my own home.

I see many contractors NOT managing to make a living, those that do have taken the time to learn their profession just like anybody else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts