DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - wondering if there is a DIY method of hanging swings in a doorway without buying one of those $100+ "doorway swing bar" kits. I have heavy duty swing hangers and lag screws, but how to tell if the door frame is sturdy enough to support it? I've seen several blog posts about people just screwing the thing into eye hooks into the doorway header, but that doesn't seem legit to me. This is a swing for children, ages 4 and 9, about 50 and 100 lbs.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
My daughter has two doorways with swings and they need to be extremely sturdy. Kids get bigger and kids will be kids, meaning they will push all limits as far as they can, often until something breaks.

You would need to verify what is up there for a header and remember, it was built for vertical loads, not horizontal. They had the swing let go once, not the attachment point, and it was a near disaster.

Oh ya, and footprints on the ceiling.

But

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't even know this was a thing.

Is everyone too delicate now to go outside?
Rude. Some people live in climates that don't allow kids to go outside year round. They also can't go outside and swing in the dark or by themselves until a certain age and trying to work from home full time with several small children who can't go to school right now
necessitates an indoor play area. Why the judgement?

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Rude. Some people live in climates that don't allow kids to go outside year round. They also can't go outside and swing in the dark or by themselves until a certain age and trying to work from home full time with several small children who can't go to school right now
necessitates an indoor play area. Why the judgement?
I agree with Biscuits. Kids need the outdoors.

·
Naildriver
17,058 Posts
I can see your reasoning for wanting the kids to swing inside, but I, too, wonder "why a doorway". Seems like there are better places for swings . We don't know where you are located, since your profile isn't complete, so there may be underlying reasons for your request that we don't know about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why do people need to know my reasons behind asking a question?? I have seen these doorway swing kits, which I mentioned in my first post, and I was asking if there was a way to DIY that instead of spending the money on the kit.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
I agree with your frustration, it happens often on all forums. But stick with it and just ignore any comments not related to your question. Now I will get flamed instead of you.

The two swings at my daughters house have received extensive use over many years and we do have lots of winter and other weather when they cannot go outside. Right now it is black fly season.

I mentioned some of the concerns just so you would be aware, not intended to discourage you. The size and activity level of your kids is something you will need to judge.

Enjoy and I'm sure they will.

Bud

·
Naildriver
17,058 Posts
@sleepteeth, don't get frustrated at questions we ask. We are asking to elicit information from you that we are not aware of. If we ask too personal questions, let us know. I doubt we will. Take into consideration, too, many of us are a little older and have never experienced doorway swings, as our kids never saw one at the store and whined mercilessly for one :eek:

The video you post seems like a viable alternative to the store bought ones. Worth a try.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The garage is another good place for a rainy day swing. I had a tire swing on a tree limb out back but it didn't get near the play that the garage one did.

I pushed it up to a hook on the bottom chord of the roof truss for out of the way storage when no kids were visiting. That's my grand niece, Jessi... if you can get a smile like that on a kid's face, you'll have your answer as to whether this was a good idea.

Disclaimer. No roof truss load allowance was exceeded by this device/passenger load.

Attachments

·
In a little over my head
1,551 Posts
Screwing eye bolts into the door frame sounds like a real bad idea. Especially an interior door frame. But, I just watched the Laura Kamph video. That looks like a good way to go, and a fun project. It doesn't put any vertical load on the frame or the header. If the plywood is strong (thick) enough to support the vertical load, the only reservation I'd have would be the horizontal load flexing the frame enough to cause some sheet rock damage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Screwing eye bolts into the door frame sounds like a real bad idea. Especially an interior door frame. But, I just watched the Laura Kamph video. That looks like a good way to go, and a fun project. It doesn't put any vertical load on the frame or the header. If the plywood is strong (thick) enough to support the vertical load, the only reservation I'd have would be the horizontal load flexing the frame enough to cause some sheet rock damage.

Maybe I'll do that. I have a ton of 3/4 inch plywood.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The garage is another good place for a rainy day swing. I had a tire swing on a tree limb out back but it didn't get near the play that the garage one did.

I pushed it up to a hook on the bottom chord of the roof truss for out of the way storage when no kids were visiting. That's my grand niece, Jessi... if you can get a smile like that on a kid's face, you'll have your answer as to whether this was a good idea.

Disclaimer. No roof truss load allowance was exceeded by this device/passenger load.

I wish we had room in the garage, but it's half car and half my workshop. We have a huge basement with a weird cement bunker attached to it, but I don't know where I would hang swings down there other than the doorways. The ceiling is this decorative cedar that I don't want to rip out to find the joists, AND the joists I can see are particle board I-joists which I don't think would work.

I built a nice large play structure in the cement bunker, but I don't think there's enough room to attach a swingset portion to it. I do have a little mesh swing hanging off it, but the kids know they can't swing on it - they just use it for balancing exercises. There's not enough clearance to safely really swing.

Ceiling:

Joist:

Play structure:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is just weird. I'm getting a vibe that you have kids locked up in the basement.

You have some imagination. If I had my kids locked up, do you think I'd post pictures of it on the internet? I would venture that 90% of families with kids have a play room - I'm not sure what's weird about having it in the basement. I do think that our cement bunker is super weird, but it was here when we moved in. The kids love it. They have a huge space to ride their bikes around indoors, they can draw on the floors and walls with sidewalk chalk. My oldest child is not old enough or responsible enough to supervise her siblings outside for extended times, and I'm now working from home full time with no school, no day care, and no other adults to help with my children. I can send the kids to play safely in the basement when I have to work. We live in northern Michigan, where we get about 2 months of summer, 2 months of thunderstorms, and 8 months of blizzard. I don't know when a DIY forum became the new Facebook where people question other people's lives. Sheesh.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.