DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am installing a new exterior light fixture on the back of my house. The wire has already been run and is stuck in the wall.

I had removed from of the siding to add new windows nd now are putting it back on.

What do I need?

On the house is the sheething, old wood clap board, and then newer vinyl siding over the wooden clapboard.

What do I need to mount a fixture "correctly and by code" I see in the box stores they have vinyl fixture mounting boxes that the vinyl butts up against, but I am wondering if I need any type of metal "old work box to bring the wire into before attaching the vinyl fixtures block there.

Any explanation of how to correctly do it would be great

·
Super Moderator
9,450 Posts
You need a box behind the vinyl box.
I use adjustable nail on boxes, attached to the stud, then adjusted to be even with the vinyl.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still a litttle confused. Quite handy but haven't done this yet. Does the box have to mount on a stud or does it mount to the sheathing? Is there a specific type of box?

Like I mentioned, this is an existing home, I ran wires to new spot and they are in the wall currently. There is sheathing, wood clapboard and then vinyl siding. Do I nned to have the box flush with the sheathing? Do they have old work style boxes? Is there a specific box?
thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts