DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house is 20X24 with a single beam holding 12' joists on each side. I purchased a 15-1/8X5" engineered beam that will be about 18 feet long. I want to hang my floor joists for the second floor on that beam..

Can I hang one side completely and sheet it before doing the other side? These are 2X12X12' joists..

In my mind that's a lot of weight to put on just one side at a time. I really don't know if balancing the weight is an issue.

thanks

t

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
not following where an18' beam will be placed in a 20' x 24' house. Could you post a sketch.

Bud

·
retired framer
59,887 Posts
Why would you not do both, you have to cut both to get the beam in.

Most beams don't care about one side or two sides.

Are you sure that beam is big enough?

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
As long as the joist hangers are nailed to the joist as well as beam, it shouldn't be a problem. There'll be a little bit of twist on the beam, but nailing the joist hanger to the joists will hold it straight.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
If you must do half and half, that's fine as long as hanging the joists doesn't move the beam. So doing both sides makes sense although sometimes even pros push the beam into a curve.:smile: But sheathing is different. Sheathing adds bracing. I would always land the floor sheathing across the beam, not join them over the beam. Over the beam, less chance of a hump and better brace.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Listen to me, stay out of trouble, get an architect to draw a framing plan.
When you add a second floor, you need to support it somehow.
The existing one story structure you have is not designed to support a second floor.
That main beam you're talking about needs to be anchored into the ground, in a 24"x24"x24" concrete with rebar - on each end.
Get an architect, get a permit, do it to code. Compromise somewhere else.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Question:

If you hang all the joists and put down the subfloor, etc. all on one side first, would the beam twist slightly?

Then if you do a final remeasure of the joists etc. for the second side, by the time you install all that, the joist twists back to its original position and you have a slight bump in the second floor between the sides all along the beam?

·
retired framer
59,887 Posts
With new construction, we put the beam in 1/4" low and the joists at the correct height.

As the joists can shrink and when they do the beam will be high.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.