DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My garage is mostly converted into another room, its got a bathroom, carpeted, and drywall setup everywhere except the ceiling. The garage was built along with the house in the mid 50s. The garage is ~22'x18', with the bathroom taking up ~4.5'x7.5' in the corner. The garage has a shed style slant roof with 5 beams running the 18' length. The beams are separated by 48" on center (with the exception of the back beam being 44" on center from its adjacent beam, but 48" to the wall still).

I want to insulate and drywall the ceiling to give the room a more complete look, as well as make the temperature easier to control.
I know just laying a 4 by 8 across 3 beams wont work. The beams are at 7 1/16" wide. The 2x8s ive measured at the depot usually are around 7 1/4 - 7 1/2" wide, so running 1 or 2- 2x8s in between the beams so the drywall can screw in sounds like I would have an inconsistent surface.
I was thinking of bracketing in several 7 1/16" long 4x4" anchorpoints in between the beams so the drywall has anchor points. But this seems a bit too hacky.
Any suggestions?

·
retired painter
9,851 Posts
Could you set 2x4s between the beams using joist brackets? perpendicular to the beams
Pics would give us a better idea of just what you have to deal with.

·
retired framer
38,767 Posts
Any consideration for venting.
I would put the ceiling in level which is just adding a 2x4 around and then fill in the 2x4.
Instead of hangers you can use pressure blocks which is just a 2x4 block between every other pair of joists and nail into the blocks as well as on an angle.

BTW they do make 54" wide drywall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi Neal,

We have one vent in the corner of the garage (pic).
This garage will not ever house a car, at least while i own it. Should I create a small duct to a register in the about to be built ceiling for this vent in the garage?

All help is greatly appreciated. Since I would be going with this 2x4 cross beam structure, we were going to put in standard R-30 insulation. I know this isnt the right forum for insulation but its related. This seems correct, but for a ceiling like this, i am not sure.
I am located in San Jose area of california for reference of weather.

Attachments

·
retired framer
38,767 Posts
Sorry I thought you were just doing the bathroom.
The venting most times we want air flow above the insulation from the soffet to the top.
Don't know how that would effect your building, with or with out.
I would use 5/8 drywall and do the layout at 24"OC
BTW the first one from the wall would be at 23 1/4"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts