DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are times that hanging a door can be done much more simply than dealing with shims, and cutting shims, and then casing. We call this "California-style." (Please don't be offended, Dear Californians! I didn't name it this, it's just what people in the industry in Utah call it.) Anyway, for hollow-core doors, installation can be really simple. Here's my youtube video of how it's done.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
UTG,
I watched your video and understand what you're doing, and I've seen guys around my neck of the woods do that. I personally wouldn't do it, no disrespect intended, but I still like to shim doors. I'm a little more old fashioned I guess.
Mike Hawkins

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,667 Posts
I just did a whole house remodel where all the interior doors where originally hung by the casings.
Along with that, the jams were adjustable to meet variances in wall thickness.
Can you guess what happened when the casings were removed for refinishing.

They are all shimmed now.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Shoddy new construction techniques is one reason remodeling carpenters like me will never be out of work. In fact a great deal of my work lately has been in homes newer than 5 years old. It seems as though finish carpenters have sacrificed quality for speed. I think I could make a pretty good living doing nothing but tweaking doors, adjusting windows and tightening up balustrades.
There are more parts installers than actual carpenters out there.

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
this method is used quite a bit by trimmers handing doors in new buildings going up.. as soon as tenants move in the door frames are all out of wack because of trying to fit large furniture through doorways...

then the building management has to get teh deficiency crew to walk aroiund and rehang all the doors properly.....

shim the damn door frame

1 - 5 of 5 Posts