DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building deck and planning utilizing existing 4x4's from a recent fence install. I would like to hang a 2x8 beam straight out from the post but I cannot seem to find a hanger on the market that will allow it. The joist hangers I have found have flanges that go beyond the width of the 4x4. Looking for suggestions on how to attach this beam to the 4x4.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,628 Posts
Why would hang your beam off the post?

12penney, your link doesn’t work.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just a word of caution.....check with the local building code department because every code jurisdiction I've seen requires deck beams to be supported by posts directly UNDER the beam. The beam can't be attached to the side of the support post. This is because the beam transfers the weight of the deck (and everything on it) directly down to the post under it and down to the footing in the ground. If mounted to the side of the post, the entire deck weight relies on the strength of the joist hanger and nails holding it to the post. Those hangers are called "joist" hangers and not "beam" hangers for a reason.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Just a word of caution.....check with the local building code department because every code jurisdiction I've seen requires deck beams to be supported by posts directly UNDER the beam. The beam can't be attached to the side of the support post. This is because the beam transfers the weight of the deck (and everything on it) directly down to the post under it and down to the footing in the ground. If mounted to the side of the post, the entire deck weight relies on the strength of the joist hanger and nails holding it to the post. Those hangers are called "joist" hangers and not "beam" hangers for a reason.
There is no such restriction, at least in the Northeast US. I just confirmed with my licensed structural engineers and they say you can build it any way you want so long as it is designed to handle the code derived forces. They do make beam hangers.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

that's not how they build them up here, they can be side mounted if bolted / nailed in the correct pattern for the correct load

1 - 11 of 11 Posts