DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I could use a little assistance in making a choice between a hanging beam or flush beam in the attic so I can remove a wall. The wall supports 2x6 ceiling joists which are butt spliced at the wall and sandwiched with 24" 1x6's. Roof support struts are also mitered together and meet on top of the wall attached to side of every other ceiling joist(see photo below). I am contemplating whether I should leave the splices and struts alone, and simply hang the joist from an LVL beam which will be point loaded on an exterior wall on one side and an interior wall which sits directly above a foundation pier on the other. Option 2 is the flush mounted beam in which I would need to remove the struts and reconfigure them to attach to the new beam, then I would need to remove the 1x6 bracing on the splices and cut in the new beam and add hangers for the joists.

The hanging beam sounds like an easier less invasive method. The flush beam installation, I feel has a greater risk of damaging the joists and struts when when the bracing is removed and I will need to add much more additional bracing while the beam is put in place. So is there any reason why I should go with a flush versus the hanging beam? If you recommend the hanging, what is the best method to hang each joist?

Thank you for your input.

FYI. beam span is 10 ft and the span carried is 24 ft.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Unless you are really highly unbearably disturbed by the beam running across your ceiling, I would not bother trying to recess it up into the attic. That to me is just way more hassle than its worth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My goal is to have a flush ceiling between the two rooms without using a drop beam. So the hanging beam would be mounted above the joist in the attic and the joist would hang from it. Sorry if my terminology is unclear. Is there a better term for a beam that sits on top of the joists?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took down three load bearing walls in my house - 2 of which were done by hanging joists from LVLs and 1 was done using the standard method of beam below the joists (it made sense for the space). I hired an engineer to design up plans given the complexity of the joist hanging method. It cost me about $1000 but it was well worth it, as it made the permit process super quick, and I know its safe. I had a similar situation to you where there were joist splices and roof load considerations. The joist hangers used were a special order and spec'd by the engineer with a specific nailing pattern. The hanging joist method was cheaper than the other option you mentioned of cutting the joists and inserting the beam between them. One thing to consider though is how you will get the beam into the attic.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,294 Posts
When you go to get a permit, they are going to want a detailed drawing anyway, So if you are not good at draftsmanship, You are going to need an engineer to draw up your plans anyway.

So just hire an engineer to design this the way that you want it.

I vote the hanging style, with special hangers designated by the engineer.

ED

1 - 6 of 6 Posts