DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to set up a hangboard (like a pull-up bar for rock climbers) from the rectangular doorway in the attached picture. I've done this in the past without any trouble but am looking to educate myself a little bit and do it "properly". Drilling into drywall and using strong inserts has never failed me but it always feels sketchy. I would like to have greater certainty my setup is solid.

I used a stud-finder app on my phone to find that the region indicated in red has some form of metal. The region is roughly an inch thick and spans the length of the doorway (about 3.5'). What kind of supporting structure could this be? Am I likely to be able to drill into it? It is also not thick enough to support all the nails of the hangboard, but I figure if at least two strong nails are in it that's a big improvement -- am I wrong?

Any guidance or tips are much appreciated. My apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum or forum.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
retired framer
39,796 Posts
The metal will be nothing more than corner bead for the drywall filler.
There might be a header above there but it might not be right behind the drywall

there should be 2 studs on each side of the opening

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much, that's exactly the kind of information I needed. It seems like I'll just go ahead with solid inserts in the drywall then, unless you have other suggestions.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
It seems like I'll just go ahead with solid inserts in the drywall then...
Inserts into drywall will not handle a high-load application. Screws into structure are required.

The drywall is still the weak link in the attachment. If you put a bending load on your mount, you can readily crush the drywall.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Yes, you absolutely have to find the studs. Drywall anchors will not support very much dynamic loading. The anchors won't necessarily fail, the drywall will. If it's not an aesthetic thing, why not just screw a 2x6 to the studs above the door? Then you can attach whatever you want at any location, on a stud or off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts