DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Has anyone tried hanging an extension ladder on a vinyl fence? I am wondering if my hollow 4"x4" vinyl fence posts can hold the weight of an aluminum extension ladder if I hung it between two posts by using a couple of storage/utility hooks mounted to each hollow post using toggle bolts? I don't want to have the vinyl posts bust or crack from the ladders weight even though I think the weight would be evenly distributed between the two utility brackets. Any thoughts or recommendations is appreciated before I start drilling holes for the toggle bolts in my vinyl fence posts.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
No way would I ever try that!
Post a picture when you can so we can see why your even thinking about doing it that way.

·
Super Moderator
12,449 Posts
Welcome to the forums kjones6160.

I for one don't need a picture to see why you'd want to hang a ladder off a fence but you're proposing is not a good idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had an additional thought. It would be easy for me to reinforce the posts internally by driving a 1"x4" treated lumber firring strip down the inside of the hollow fence post to the ground and then use 3" long toggle bolts through the storage hanger, vinyl fence and the lumber. The posts were all set in concrete when the fence was installed. That should make it work, wouldn't you think?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I assume you are hanging the ladder where it will be hidden. Just drive a separate hanger next to the fence and hang the ladder from that. Something similar to a hose hanger only sturdy. No need to mess with your fence
There are a lot of ornamental iron hangers if you want to get fancy.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,983 Posts
KJONES..... Kinda surprized everyone thinks that is somehow a stupid idea.

I'm not sure it is at all.....

Obviously depends on both 1) the sturdiness of your vinyl fencing... (that stuff comes in all sorts of differnt streangh/thickness and 2) weight of your ladder (aluminum/fiberglass/class rateing/ size)

I like your idea if you think any weakness might be in the strain of a toggle on the plastic.

I had a 32 that was heavy as He11, and I have a 20 class 3 I would not hesitate to mount.

Best

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,061 Posts
I have seem those crack and break due to age and weather.

I would not try it either, get two steel T posts, drive them in close to the vinyl fence but not touching it, then fashion hooks on the T posts to hang the ladder on.

ED

1 - 9 of 9 Posts