DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a house with an un-permitted storage shed. My city sent out an inspector to approve and they said; to approve the electrical, without tearing about the walls and the breaker etc, I can pass inspection with some handle-ties to ensure the breakers trip in tandem. That's about the extent of my knowledge already but I have had one heck of a time finding a part to tie them together. Anyone know where I may find this part or even know a more specific name for it so I get better search results in my internet shopping?

I attached a photo to help anyone who may know what they are talking about.

A thousand thank you's in advance.

- Brandon

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a homeline panel.
Try 'homeline handle ties'.

I found one of these handle ties but was unable to fit it between the handles. Someone at ACE said I should get some sort of snap-on fitting to bar them. This was supposed to be easy but my little brain cannot figure how to fit those handle ties between the handles.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
The handle tie that Joed linked to will connect the adjacent poles of 2 tandem breakers (i.e. handles 2 and 3 in the pic). What I haven't seen is one that would tie the two handles on the same tandem.

I don't understand what the inspector/OP are after.
Is it
A handle tie because there is a 240v load in the shed ?
Handle tie for the feeder breaker to the shed in the house panel ?
Something to disconnect all 4 handles simultaneously in lieu of a disconnect in the shed ?
Something else ?

It may take a call to the inspector to clarify what he wants to see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The handle tie that Joed linked to will connect the adjacent poles of 2 tandem breakers (i.e. handles 2 and 3 in the pic). What I haven't seen is one that would tie the two handles on the same tandem.

I don't understand what the inspector/OP are after.
Is it
A handle tie because there is a 240v load in the shed ?
Handle tie for the feeder breaker to the shed in the house panel ?
Something to disconnect all 4 handles simultaneously in lieu of a disconnect in the shed ?
Something else ?

It may take a call to the inspector to clarify what he wants to see.
It definitely is not about the house panel. They were ok with that.

They were only concerned with this panel. She said she was concerned if one tripped, there might still be current so she wanted them to trip in tandem. You are right. I may have to call for more clarification.

·
Super Moderator
9,578 Posts
Is that panel in the shed?
Do you know which breaker in the main panel controls the shed?

·
Super Moderator
15,754 Posts
It definitely is not about the house panel. They were ok with that.

They were only concerned with this panel. She said she was concerned if one tripped, there might still be current so she wanted them to trip in tandem. You are right. I may have to call for more clarification.
Sounds like she believes these control a multiwire branch circuit. What you have is 4 circuits in the space of two full size breakers, not a multiwire branch circuit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.