DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am installing 4" HALO Airtite cans in toilet/shower area using new construction cans and one area of ceiling is 5/8 sheetrock and the shower stall will have 5/8" plus thickness of tile on ceiling. The ring that extends down from the HALO can is only 1/2" (I assume for 1/2" sheetrock) so I am not sure how to properly get the shower trim piece with the sealed lense to properly seal for the extra thicknesses of my ceiling. If the trim is tight against the surface, that means there is still an open path for the heat within the can area to pass directly to the edges of the sheetrock cutout and this would seem to present a fire hazard over time if it gets too hot. Are there metal rings to extend for the thickness or some kind of special sealing material to fill this area?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
All recessed fixtures are adjustable, up and down. You adjust the can after the drywall or tile is up. Bring the can down as close to flush as you can. But not all the way flush. All rings have adjustable spring clips. These clips (spring with long straight ends) allow you to engage the fixture and allow you to move it up and down also. The depth you mention should be fine with most any recessed fixture. I hope this makes sense to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts