DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a drywaller working in the Insurance Restoration industry.Over the last 6-8 months we are having problems with hairline cracks in the drywall.Most of our jobs are 20 sheets or less of drywall so we use a lot of Fast-set mix.First and second coat is 30 minute Synco fast-set.The finish coat is usually All-purpose mud.
When its dry we sand,prime and paint.The area looks great and then a few days or a week later hairline cracks appear.I have been doing this ,in the same way for many years and no problems.
We are trying to fix this problem because having to go back and do repairs hurts the bottom line and also your name.
Is there an answer out there to this problem?if so please let me know.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
One possible cause would be your hot mud is dry to the touch which makes it ok to recoat but it is not completely dry underneath. Are you adding water to thin your AP? I don't use the A/P to finish because in my opinion it's too thick. For final I use lightweight, ultra lightweight, or topping. Hairline cracks can be caused by drying to fast such as putting fans to dry quicker. Can also be caused by applying too thick. The top will crust then when it dries underneath it causes these small cracks.
If you feel none of these could be the cause I would suggest changing products. Maybe try USG easy sand if available in your area. But to me being just hairline cracks suggest the problem is in the top coat. Try a bucket of something besides the all purpose and keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hairline cracks

I will try using a lite finish to see how that works,thx for the reply folks.
I use mesh tape on the flats and butts,paper tape in the corners.I find that paper tape does not work good for multiple coats of fast-set,tape usually pops unless totally dry between coats.
There is no problem with the mud on the walls,just the ceilings.I guess its a process of elimination for now.

·
Registered
683 Posts
i'd throw that mesh tape right in the trash can.
When doing 2' repairs you need to prefill everything with a setting compound and then apply the tape with green cgc and then skim it out with a finish mud. you can speed the process up with skimming with setting compound but you havvve to prefill and use the green mud or else your going to run into problems like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts