DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new here and i started my DIY bathroom remodeling. I completed demolition, reframed ceiling and 2 walls around the bathtub (currently removed.
I will use Schluter Kerdi boards in the whole bathroom ( it is small 8ft by 5ft). Here is the question. One of my walls is Gypsum block wall and because of space constraints (I want a bathroom not a corridor :))) I decided to use Schluter spot bonding method with some anchors to attach board to the wall ( bonding agent is thinset ) I wonder if i have to do any special preparation to make sure thinset would have a good bond with the gypsum blocks. I removed old plaster from the gypsum board ( i think it was cement based) because it was very uneven( in fact. now the wall is more plumb than it was with plaster) and also to save space. So now gypsum blocks are exposed. I will patch the holes with structolite. My worry is that gypsum might suck moisture from the thinset too quickly and interfere with curing of thinset weakening the bond. So need an advice if i should prime the gypsum blocks with something or may be i overthink it . Picture is attached.

Thanks in advance.
Deniss

Attachments

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Rather than spot bonding, why not use a 1/4” notch trowel and coat the entire wall? And there should be a paper face on the gypsum panels, that will slow the moisture absorption and allow for a proper bond.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Hi I am new here and i started my DIY bathroom remodeling. I completed demolition, reframed ceiling and 2 walls around the bathtub (currently removed.
I will use Schluter Kerdi boards in the whole bathroom ( it is small 8ft by 5ft). Here is the question. One of my walls is Gypsum block wall and because of space constraints (I want a bathroom not a corridor :))) I decided to use Schluter spot bonding method with some anchors to attach board to the wall ( bonding agent is thinset ) I wonder if i have to do any special preparation to make sure thinset would have a good bond with the gypsum blocks. I removed old plaster from the gypsum board ( i think it was cement based) because it was very uneven( in fact. now the wall is more plumb than it was with plaster) and also to save space. So now gypsum blocks are exposed. I will patch the holes with structolite. My worry is that gypsum might suck moisture from the thinset too quickly and interfere with curing of thinset weakening the bond. So need an advice if i should prime the gypsum blocks with something or may be i overthink it . Picture is attached.

Thanks in advance.
Deniss
To slow the suction of the Gypsum block use a Potassium Silicate bonding agent.
You can use Keim Fixativ it is a good sealer & bonding agent.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rather than spot bonding, why not use a 1/4” notch trowel and coat the entire wall? And there should be a paper face on the gypsum panels, that will slow the moisture absorption and allow for a proper bond.
Hi Half-fast eddie, thanks for the replay. My wall is not a sheetrock wall it is gypsum block wall as you can see from the picture attache. There is no paper. The wall is too uneven up to 3/4 to 1 inch dips, luckily no bumps. Wall is 8 feet high and i will have at the top and bottom 20 gauge 90 degree framing corners which would be in the same vertical plane so there should be no issue to install it plumb

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To slow the suction of the Gypsum block use a Potassium Silicate bonding agent.
You can use Keim Fixativ it is a good sealer & bonding agent.
Thanks a lot for the info. I can't seem to find Keim Fixativ in US. All the online stores are physically located in UK. But i did find US branch and phone#.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info. I can't seem to find Keim Fixativ in US. All the online stores are physically located in UK. But i did find US branch and phone#.
Don't know your location but try BEECK they may have a product that is equal to Fixativ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts