DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
I get stuck every year cleaning out at least a dozen houses gutters a year and have seen it done several different ways.
The only ones I've seen that really seem to work unless your dealing with pine needles is the waterfall type.
Only draw back is in a really heavy rain is some of the water will end up just flowing over them and miss the gutter, but it really has to be a super heavy rain for that to happen.
The foam and brush style are useless.
Any that sit flat or even recessed inside the gutters will keep stuff out of the gutters, but it ends up laying on the tops and it still needs to be cleaned off.
Any that just have the round holes in them tend to catch the stems, and some of the pine needles will end up sticking out of them.
One of my customers that's over 70 years old that I'd only been charging $75.00 a year because it was an easy walkable roof and never had much in them for some reason decided to have new seamless gutters installed with the built in rainfall style gutter guards so she could "save" money.
It cost her over $3000.00, she and I will be long dead before there will be any pay back.

Reactions: Windows on Wash

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
Gosh, sounds like she was taken advantage of...one story or two?
We had ours done with the rain guards three years ago for about 1500.00
( two story’s)
We had a lot of in and outs and down spouts...It took all day to install,
Three guys and a helper, the guy said it was like doing two houses.
...anyhow, so far it’s working great, as we are surrounded with large
oak trees and one humongous maple tree...

·
Naildriver
16,960 Posts
I must have gotten the deal of the century. I had all my gutters (single story) replaced with 6" gutters day before yesterday. Local company. He told me to call them when needed and they would clean my gutters for $50. No brainer. No gutter covers.

·
Registered
13,698 Posts
I have screens but of my design. My gutter downs don't need leaves, petiole stems 7" long and small twigs plugging them for SeniorSitizen to remove and clean, so i designed my own system of hardware cloth covering those openings.

I've stated this before. I wouldn't gutter another house if i built a new one every year and lived to be 500.:vs_laugh:

Edit: Edit:

Attachments

·
Registered
Gutter repair, drip edge retrofit, crawl space sump
117 Posts
I’ve decided after reading about gutter screens/guards that they all suck!
Despite marketing and vain hope, no guard solution is maintenance-free. The best you can hope for is reduced maintenance.

I use powder coated metal mesh guards and have had mixed success. I still have to sweep off trapped leaves and spray shingle grit out occasionally.

Link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/InvisaFl...0-25/205207107

For more info and a few other guard suggestions that work for some situations, refer to

https://www.diychatroom.com/f9/invisaflow-metal-gutter-screens-overflow-issue-677087/#post6297629

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.