DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been working on the basement renovation and with that comes water control. I’ve taken care of the sore spots outside the house but still have one issue to address.

I have 2 large pine tree that extend over the house. The gist of my water issue is all the pine needles and cones that end up plugging the gutters and down spots. I do not have screens over the gutter and the last owned tried using a screen that was install in the down spout inside the gutter…well that gets plugged about every rainfall.

So I know I can pretty much use any screen to keep the pine cones out but how about the needles ? Will any old screen work or is one better than another? Any other suggestion welcomes. I could remove one tree but the other is on the neighbors property

Thanks!!

·
BIGRED
487 Posts
In your case I would recommend the 5" wide rolls of expanded gutter screens the entire length of your gutters. Then -and this will be a real pain, but it will keep the gutters and downspouts clear- figure out how many feet of gutter you are covering and cut enough 5" wide rolls of regular aluminum window screen out of a 3 foot wide roll of regular aluminum window screen and lay those strips on TOP of the gutter screens. A few needles may get caught, but knocking them off every 4-5 monthes is far better than cleaning plugged gutters every couple of monthes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re

Actually that sounds like a great idea. I bought a 100' roll of screen to fix a couple screen doors the dog decide to go through and have a bunch left over.

Sounds like a nice little weekend project

1 - 3 of 3 Posts