DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my gutters clog on the rear side of my house, and when we get a heavy rain, they overflow... and I'm getting water dripping into the basement wall where the floor joists meet the first floor subfloor, and dripping down through the basement window. This has happened twice over the last couple of years and only when the gutters are clogged and we have a heavy rain. Photo of the rear of the house is attached. The problem area is on the left side of the photo, just above fan vent (marked in red). Seems the leak is isolated to just two floor joist sections.

After the first incident two years ago, I had thought the water was coming in via the brick ledge below the first floor window. So I caulked up where the brick ledge meets the siding and applied waterproof sealer to the brick. I also re-caulked around the fan vent and the basement window below it. Had the gutter cleaned as well. Have had a few heavy rains since and haven't had an issue... until the gutters were clogged again and the issue has reappeared.

I am having the gutters cleaned, but still wondering how the water is making its way there. There is no evidence of water on the first floor walls or window, so not sure if the water is leak is originating from the soffit. Trying to figure out if I have a possible roofing issue, gutter issue or both. Home is 22 years old, original roof and gutters. I'm no roofing or gutter expert. Working on getting a gutter pro out here. Any info/advice appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Naildriver
19,965 Posts
Maybe there's more to this, but you have a gargantuan amount of water, firstly running against the shingle lay above that roof line on the left, plus water coming off the roof line above it. All that water has to go somewhere and it all goes to the inadequate stump of a gutter below it all. I doubt the downspout can take it all at once. Is there a cricket above the chimney?

·
Naildriver
19,965 Posts
My concern was 8' of shed water off the roof line to the left, 4' of water on that plane, PLUS half the water from a cricket, if there is one, and a little from the roofline above, ALL going into a 4' gutter with 4" downspouts ain't gonna cut it.

Now, I'll have to agree with all things perfect....but check the sealant above the brick to the siding. That would be a prime place for water to enter.

·
retired framer
65,248 Posts
My concern was 8' of shed water off the roof line to the left, 4' of water on that plane, PLUS half the water from a cricket, if there is one, and a little from the roofline above, ALL going into a 4' gutter with 4" downspouts ain't gonna cut it.

Now, I'll have to agree with all things perfect....but check the sealant above the brick to the siding. That would be a prime place for water to enter.
The air exhaust vent would be high on the list too. If that was added after the original build it could be a problem

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get 6" K style gutters - rather than the 5" you have. And largest avail dounspouts.

Water coming in --- is that inside the walls ? With the amount of water you describe, and where, the left gutter is as it hits the house needs a look at. Add a kick - out diverter.

·
Usually Confused
9,838 Posts
Agree that it looks like too much roof for the gutter to handle. It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like there is a problem with the shingles - they looks different than the other side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe there's more to this, but you have a gargantuan amount of water, firstly running against the shingle lay above that roof line on the left, plus water coming off the roof line above it. All that water has to go somewhere and it all goes to the inadequate stump of a gutter below it all. I doubt the downspout can take it all at once. Is there a cricket above the chimney?
I d
I can't see if there's a cricket from the ground, and I don't have a ladder tall enough to get up there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
to spit ball a couple ideas ...
#1-the existing under grounds will limit increasing down spout size much more than what they are, and since it is only on heavy rain events, perhaps you can cut a 1.5" or 2" over flow on the left side of existing gutter end cap and hang a nice rain chain (properly supported with a new bracket) to guide the water to the ground, keep it off the exterior wall. maybe even capture a good portion of the run off for watering garden/plants.
#2-install an overflow down spout with an outlet elevated an inch or two off the bottom of gutter, so it is only active when the gutter is getting backed up. That spout would drain directly to the ground, but only active under heavy rain events.
#3-install .040 mil aluminum commercial gutters with SS hangers that can hold larger volume of water giving the down spout time to evacuate.

·
retired framer
65,248 Posts
Lots of houses here have 2 downspout called for on the plans, we see a few with 2 pipes side by side but most time the gutter guys just go up to the 3x3 downspout instead of the normal 2x3 and just do one.

·
Administrator
13,727 Posts
The first thing I'd do is remove a few pieces of siding on both sides of that window above the vent, down low and up by the gutter to see if there's any sign of being wet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The first thing I'd do is remove a few pieces of siding on both sides of that window above the vent, down low and up by the gutter to see if there's any sign of being wet.
Good idea. My ladder won't get me to the height of the gutter, but I could check just above the brick ledge. I have a gutter guy coming out to clean them in a few days - perhaps I can get him to help me with that.

In the meantime, we had another downpour a couple of days ago, and I watched the overflow happen from outside. The water is coming down between the gutter and soffit and hitting the brick ledge and top of the vent pretty heavy. Still leaking inside of course. I have since gone up and re-sealed where the siding meets the brick and around the vent (which were already sealed pretty well). I'm wondering if the brick/mortar is so porous that water is seeping through, so I might try using a brick sealant for good measure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts