DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to take on a DIY gutter installation for the first time. Have some areas where I can't wrap my mind around how to install...I'm afraid the valley downspouts are going to overshoot any guttering I put up. The first pic, with two different levels, I don't know how to deal with at all. Appreciate any thoughts/feedback. Attaching pics.
Sky Building Brickwork Wood Brick
Sky Building Cloud Window Brickwork
Plant Cloud Building Window Sky

·
Registered
647 Posts
Those shingles at the bottom of the valleys need to be trimmed even with the bottom edge of the other shingles (2nd pic). A common way of dealing with the two different levels spot is to have a short piece of downspout going from the upper section of gutter into the lower. Might want to think about using a larger downspout on the lower part to deal with all the water, or having only a downspout on the other end (right hand side) of the upper section. Depends on how long that run is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those shingles at the bottom of the valleys need to be trimmed even with the bottom edge of the other shingles (2nd pic). A common way of dealing with the two different levels spot is to have a short piece of downspout going from the upper section of gutter into the lower. Might want to think about using a larger downspout on the lower part to deal with all the water, or having only a downspout on the other end (right hand side) of the upper section. Depends on how long that run is.
Thanks, that makes sense about trimming the shingles...along with the metal downspout, I assume? On the two-level section, the run on the right hand side is 27' long. So, would I also need to trim the shingles in the valley on the two-level section?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Those shingles in the corner were left extra extra long, to protect the wood and certainly could use some trimming. It is often nice that they'd extend just a tick, or people will trim them flush but slip a small piece of flashing under to make a little / inside the corner, to try to protect the corner joint.

For gutters and those inside corners where water may overshoot, I have seen some aluminum L pieces installed onto the gutter corner. Some of our neighbors have those.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thanks, that makes sense about trimming the shingles...along with the metal downspout, I assume? On the two-level section, the run on the right hand side is 27' long. So, would I also need to trim the shingles in the valley on the two-level section?
A run that long should have two spouts. No need to trim on the 2 level part, except aesthetics.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Average gutters are 5" wide? Not sure. Go to pro building supply, roof/siding supply and/or lumber yard. There are wider gutters, heavier gauge sheetmetal and brackets. Bigger downspouts and leader pipes. Bigger gutter, better water catch, and maybe lower splash guard. Shingle roof slows the water and you can live with occasional overflow in a down pour if you don't like the splash guard look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts