DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sysop
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a do everything myself kind of guy. I decided to replace my linoleum counter top with quartz 12"x12" tiles. Despite my best efforts to get everything square true and level turns out these tiles were just not an even thickness all around. So I bought a wet polisher and began leveling them all down. Quite the time consuming project. I am now at the 200 grit stage and its actually starting to get a nice smooth luster. My question is can I grout now before finishing the polishing? My thinking is that I will get a complete flat surface with no dips at the grout lines. It is a epoxy based non aggregate grout and I am using some kind of product in place of the water to mix it that acts as a sealer as well. I don't have the products handy but I could get the specifics if needed. I have searched and cannot find the answer. any pros or cons would be appreciated.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
The epoxy is likely to gum up your posishing pads--better to polish first--then grout.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
I'm a do everything myself kind of guy. I decided to replace my linoleum counter top with quartz 12"x12" tiles. Despite my best efforts to get everything square true and level turns out these tiles were just not an even thickness all around. So I bought a wet polisher and began leveling them all down. Quite the time consuming project. I am now at the 200 grit stage and its actually starting to get a nice smooth luster. My question is can I grout now before finishing the polishing? My thinking is that I will get a complete flat surface with no dips at the grout lines. It is a epoxy based non aggregate grout and I am using some kind of product in place of the water to mix it that acts as a sealer as well. I don't have the products handy but I could get the specifics if needed. I have searched and cannot find the answer. any pros or cons would be appreciated.
Epoxy and heat don't like each other. I would wait to grout.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,839 Posts
I agree with the two others before me, plus there is a high possibility that your grout will get ripped out by the polishing process, I have wet polished many stone applications with a wet polisher, and never grouted before the finish was complete.

You might try to polish your grout after application with a diamond wet sponge pad.

That will eliminate most of the heat caused by the polisher, and might be an acceptable alternative.

ED

·
Sysop
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for the input. I will wait to grout then. I must say that the pattern of tile that I chose has made this much more challenging than I would have anticipated. I am not a tile pro but have accomplished at least 2 dozen tile jobs of different sorts including 2 full showers. This is my first time working with natural stone and the polishing process. If there is any advise I can offer to this thread would be that if your selection of stone happens to be quartzite and has bands, stripes, or veins running in the pattern it makes for difficulties in the grinding and polishing process. The darker bands are of a harder compound than the lighter fill areas and thus don't grind down at the same rate. I found my self spending a lot of time trying to 'spot' grind and then flat grind back and forth for hours trying to achieve a reasonable flatness. I will try to post some pictures soon. for right now they are all on my phone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts