DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this house little over 2 years old and numerous problems. I never seen someone grout outside 90* corners before between tiles. Anyways it's cracking and chunks of grout falling out. I always thought this is where those metal tile trim should have been installed. Anyways too late for that now. Not gonna tear out all this tile. Should it all come out and be caulked? Or regrout and seal it? Thanks

Bathtub Bathroom Property Tile Sink

Attachments

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
That is a really poor job obviously done by a novice. Did you do that?
There isn't much you can do with that mess. You might be able to clean out all of the old grout then re-grout using a urethane grout.

The problem isn't the grout, the problem is movement somewhere within that tub-housing structure. Is the tub-bottom fully supported or does the tub hang from that deck?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I didn't do that. I would of used black tile trim there if it were me. We got a lot of tile in our house and all looks like that. Other bathroom leaked (poured) water down through drywall on main floor. It all came pouring out of pot light. We dont use other bathroom shower cause of it. Eeeeks. I could go on and on about this house. It's a nightmare. Not what I expected for a 2 year old house and $700k.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Sure looks like they started at the bottom and worked they way up and used the cut pieces under the top surface, the top area should have can out even with the side tiles. There never should have been thinset smeared over the face of the top pieces.
Caulking should have been used any place the tile changes direction.
And it sure looks like there's a gap under the top of the tub for water to get in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea there's no caulking around the tub. Where tile meets tile in other directions they used grout and of course it's all cracked. This is a corner jacuzzi and instead of making the 3 sides flat where there would be 22.5* angles they tried making the front rounded. Might make more sense in pic. I'm surprised the grout is still there and not all cracked and fall out.

Tile Floor Bathroom Flooring Room

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's our other bath (kids bath - excuse the mess) took a tub and tried to make it look "under mounted" little 1x1 tiles around perimeter going vertical. As you can see in pic where cold tap is tile is mangled and they just grouted all around it. Of course if you try to shower in here it leaks. Water was leaking down around that tap and pouring through pot light on main floor. There's no caulking anywheres. Where those 1x1 tiles meet the tub has grout smashed in there and of course all cracked. The 2nd pic may be hard to tell from pic but tile is lifting up.

Tile Bathroom Property Room Floor

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Sad job there----All to common to see a builders special like that---you will have to tear out that work eventually---for now---caulk and pray.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
I like the rough tile so it's harder to clean, and the tile joint running right where the faucet sits to make sure all the water could run down under it.

Reactions: oh'mike
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.