DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My set up is as follows:
1. I have a homeowners permit from the jurisdiction where the work is being completed.

2. My main panel is a standalone (outside) on a pole with a weather proof box. (birdhouse) (SQUARE D panel).

3. I am installing a sub-panel in a cabin approximately 125 feet away using a 100amp 2 pole breaker.

4. The feed to the sub-panel is ACWU 1/3 (2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 bare)

5. The Square D sub-panel has a main disconnect in it as well, so I will be removing the bonding screw.

My questions are in regards to the grounding and bonding and the application of CEC 2015.

1. From what I understand, I remove the bonding screw in the sub-panel. Correct?

2. The bare wire is attached to a grounding lug, on the grounding bar attached directly to the panel. Correct?

3. From my understanding, I do not require a grounding bar/plate at the sub panel. Correct?
- This is my only real question. As the wording in CEC 2015 is a bit confusing.

4. The neutral wire is attached directly to a lug on the neutral bar. Correct.

Thanks
trevor

·
Super Moderator
20,945 Posts
1. yes
2. yes
3. not sure I understand what you are asking.
4. yes
Please specify your location. cec - Canadian electrical or cec - California electrical code.

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
He should probably include the province/ city for you.

The Calif CEC is 2016. ACWU (ACWU90?) is not available here (to my knowledge.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Added
1. yes
2. yes
3. not sure I understand what you are asking.
- Does a sub panel at a detached building require a ground at the detached structure, if the sub-panel is grounded back to the main panel?

4. yes

Please specify your location. cec - Canadian electrical or cec - California electrical code.
Canadian Electrical Code 2015
Alberta, Canada

·
Super Moderator
20,945 Posts
Not sure about Alberta but in Ontario you have two options.

from ESA

It depends. The Code provides two options;
First, the sub service shall be grounded by connection to a ground electrode; or
Second, the sub service shall be bonded back to the main service with a bonding conductor run with the feeder conductors.
That means you can use a four wire feed and no ground rods or plate.
Or you can use a three wire feed and ground rods or plate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts