DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a satellite dish installed at my house and have some questions on grounding. The dish itself will be mounted on a pole, not connected to house, other than the coax. I live in a condo, and access to the grounding rod and the power entry into the building is not available. The distance between this point and the installation location is also over 20ft apart. I paid to have an electrician drive a new grounding rod near the install site, but he insisted that it did not need to be bonded to the existing ground. This does not seem to meet NEC code from what I understand.

So 2 questions,

1. Is he correct?
2. If not, what can I bond the new ground rod to since neither the main bus, nor the power entry point for the house are accessible? There is a household AC condenser that is right next to the install location, can I bond to the ground on this? I know its driven by wire gauge and distance, but the condenser should have had to have been installed with similar grounding consideration as the satellite.

Primary concern is lighting, I live in FL, and a satellite dish is a prime target.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, the new guy they sent to install the dish today said the ground was not needed. Not sure who to believe. Opinions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in MN and usesd to install a lot of sat dishes. I can't remember for certain but I'm quite sure you can bond to the AC compressor unit if it is in fact properly grounded.
If I recall correctly, adding another ground rod requires bonding it to the main ground rod with a #8 or heavier wire. Otherwise there will be a potential (voltage) difference between the two points giving unknown results. I have been licensed here in MN and this has always been a big issue. The guy saying grounding is not needed is just trying to get out of some work. If you have an ohm meter you should show continuity from anywhere on the AC unit to the electrical conduit that it is wired with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read some of the article, thanks Geo, but it makes my head go to mush. This is what the installer did, let me know if this sounds correct.

The satellite is installed on a pole which is in concrete in the ground. The Coax from the dish is run into cable shielded grounding block which then runs into the house. The grounding block is connected to the new ground rod that was installed as well as the pole itself. Is this acceptable? The ground rod itself is not bonded to the houses ground in this scenario from what I can tell. The installer said his supervisor was going to be coming by to check the install, makes me think he did it right, but not sure.

·
Super Moderator
13,928 Posts
. All grounding needs to be bonded together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How would I go about doing this then? Can I just tie the grounds together at the AC ground and call it good?

·
Super Moderator
13,928 Posts
The AC ground is not part of the system ground.

·
Registered
142 Posts
the only reason a satellite dish is grounded, is to prevent static electricity build up,

its more important that your coax cable itself is grounded,

most people dont even bother grounding the dish, especially if its aluminum

·
Super Moderator
13,928 Posts
Whether people choose to ignore the code does not make it correct.

Reactions: seharper

·
Licenced Electrician
871 Posts
the only reason a satellite dish is grounded, is to prevent static electricity build up,

its more important that your coax cable itself is grounded,

most people dont even bother grounding the dish, especially if its aluminum
If the dish gets hit by lightning, having only the coax grounded would certainly be a liability.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If the dish gets hit by lightning, having only the coax grounded would certainly be a liability.
Lol, seriously?

nothing will protect you from a lightning bolt,

you think a wire is going to ground a bolt of lightning?

your apparently a licensed electrician?

and you make a comment like that?

dishes are not grounded to prevent damage from lightning, as i said, its simply for static electricity

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I get that there is debate on this topic. I understand the reason for the code, even though a direct strike from lightning would fry everything, but it is the best possible way to reasonable wire the circuit in theory.

In my case, what would need to be done to install this to code? I cant physically get a wire to the power entry/power meters to bond the grounds. The only major electrical anything in the location is the big AC condenser for the central air.

·
Licenced Electrician
871 Posts
Lol, seriously?

nothing will protect you from a lightning bolt,

you think a wire is going to ground a bolt of lightning?

your apparently a licensed electrician?

and you make a comment like that?

dishes are not grounded to prevent damage from lightning, as i said, its simply for static electricity
What, pray tell, do you think your ground rods and wire do on the service in your house then?

We're all ears, show us your wisdom.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
You would run an equipment grounding conductor from the dish site to the house. This EGC is grounded at the house either at the first video component (if grounded via branch circuit) the dish coax cable is attached to, or continuing separately to a grounding electrode conductor with an intersystem bonding bridge where they connect.

While all ground rods about a structure must be bonded to form the grounding electrode system, your dish site counts as a different structure and grounding electrode conductors are not required to cross lawns, driveways, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the reply allen. So if I am understanding you correctly, then it sounds like they did it correctly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts