DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question - the electrician that installed 200 amp service to my horse barn has a grounding rod laying in the ground horizontally.

It is a 4' rod buried about 30" down and about 2 feet off the outside wall of the barn...laying horizontally (not driven into the ground).

Do I need to correct this???? (only came across this when I was installing insulation around the perimeter of the barn 24" underground).

·
Cruising into the sunset
612 Posts
The only time I ran a ground rod horizontally was when we hit bedrock about three feet down. If you have dirt or clay, you drive it vertically. In the Chicago area most municipalities require a 10' x 5/8" copper ground rod driven vertically into the ground.

The problem with a shallow ground rod comes when the moisture in the soil evaporates. The drier the soil, the greater the resistance and the less effective the grounding. I would remove the existing rod and drive a 10' rod into the ground.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
Quick question - the electrician that installed 200 amp service to my horse barn has a grounding rod laying in the ground horizontally.

It is a 4' rod buried about 30" down and about 2 feet off the outside wall of the barn...laying horizontally (not driven into the ground).

Do I need to correct this???? (only came across this when I was installing insulation around the perimeter of the barn 24" underground).
4'? If it is a driven electrode it should be 8' and you may require two rods. Is it a seperate 200A service or a subpanel?

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
This is a main panel --- 200 amps to a horse barn with its own meter. NOT a subpanel.
Two 8' rods . Is there a metal underground waterpipe?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no metal underground pipe...just pvc.

When I put the new rods in, do I just shut off the main breaker or do I need to disconnect the current wire from the panel that is ran to the current grounding rod, also?

New rods must be 6' apart, correct?

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Why not call the people who installed your service?

Why wasn't the service inspected?

When I see threads like this, I always wonder what the rest of the story is. Why would you risk pulling the meter or working in the panel live with (possibly) a bare wire, if someone was paid to do it right the first time?

·
Cruising into the sunset
612 Posts
Why not call the people who installed your service?

Why wasn't the service inspected?

When I see threads like this, I always wonder what the rest of the story is. Why would you risk pulling the meter or working in the panel live with (possibly) a bare wire, if someone was paid to do it right the first time?
And if they won't come out, call the inspector. He could threaten them with their license if they don't fix it. Whatever you do, don't disconnect the existing ground while the power is on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am calling the inspector ---- I have a feeling he never even came out....small town & the electrician said he knew the inspector well...I remember him saying that he even just trusts him sometimes to do the job correctly.....i.e. --- he doesn't come out to look at it! unreal...

If I have to do this myself, I can turn off the main breaker & install the 2 new rods without a problem, correct?......then disconnect the current, incorrect rod???

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Keep in mind, the wires to the MB will still be live even when you turn off the main.

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
When you drive the two new 8' ground rods, the old buried 4' rod may be left there and connected.

Normally two 8' ground rods are needed. If someone brings specialized test equipment that proves that only one ground rod is needed then you can omit the second.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I am calling the inspector ---- I have a feeling he never even came out....small town & the electrician said he knew the inspector well...I remember him saying that he even just trusts him sometimes to do the job correctly.....i.e. --- he doesn't come out to look at it! unreal...

If I have to do this myself, I can turn off the main breaker & install the 2 new rods without a problem, correct?......then disconnect the current, incorrect rod???
call installer back...demand it be done right....don't take no for an answer:mad::mad::mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts