DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first apartment and have a big issue with the garbage disposal. The old one was bad so I was in the process of replacing it and the wires from the wall that should connect to the disposal do not have a ground. There is a metal flex hose that goes around the wires. Can I connect the ground to the metal hose? Do I need to have a ground installed on that? How much would it be to have an electrician instal a ground (ball park estimate)?

Thanks for any help.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
The ground SHOULD be carried by the metal conduit.

Is this a condo or an apartment?

·
Learning Things Every Day
555 Posts
Just bought my first apartment
:huh:
Bought as in bought? Meaning you're the landlord? If that's the case, you shouldn't be DIY'ing anything electrical. If you're just renting, you shouldn't be DIY'ing anything electrical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ground SHOULD be carried by the metal conduit.

Is this a condo or an apartment?
Depends on your definition. It is an apartment that I own. Some people consider that a condo because many of the facilities are communal; the stair, elevators, halls and other parts of the building. But it is one floor, which some would take to mean it is an apartment. What would your definition be?

So if I test the hot wire and the metal tube to carry 110v that would be a not pretty way to ground it? Would that be safe?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:huh:
Bought as in bought? Meaning you're the landlord? If that's the case, you shouldn't be DIY'ing anything electrical. If you're just renting, you shouldn't be DIY'ing anything electrical.
So are you saying that I should not DIY anything if I rent or own? Is that a roundabout way of saying that if you have to ask you should hire someone? I own it (one apartment in an apartment building where other individuals also own units), but I live in it. So I would not say I am the "landlord", but I guess you could say that.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
So if I test the hot wire and the metal tube to carry 110v that would be a not pretty way to ground it? Would that be safe?
Let me clarify my first statement.

If the disposal is wired in flex or BX, the armored metal casing usually carries the ground. You can test this by metering from hot to the metal casing. If you get 120V (or there about) you can consider it grounded.

If you own and pay taxes on that property, I would consider it a condo. If you signed a lease, I would consider it an apartment. What Jay78 was trying to say is that if you rent, you could be held liable for altering the electric on something you don't own. If you are a landlord and you choose to do the work yourself, you could be held liable if something went wrong with what you "fixed".

·
Learning Things Every Day
555 Posts
Is that a roundabout way of saying that if you have to ask you should hire someone?
No, I certainly wasn't trying to imply that asking a question makes you incapable. I only know and can do some of the basics in electrical (although I do read threads on all topics to learn as much as possible, which is how I came across this one) and I don't want to interfere with this thread, so I'll just clarify what I was thinking in my first post: For legal/code reasons, it would be better to have an electrician do the work if you owned the building and were renting it out, and if you were the tenant, you shouldn't have to do anything yourself because it would be the landlords responsibility to have things fixed.

EDIT: I see k buz pretty much summed up what I was thinking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just checked the hot wire with the metal tube and it does not carry 120v. Is it time to call an electrician?

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Probably a good idea.

·
DIY Enthusiast
1,131 Posts
M3 Pete said:
and just to ask the obvious, this is with the switch in the "on" position?

I'm gonna guess no.
He's replacing the disposal which means that there was a disposal there already.

Odds are that the BX is serving as ground.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and just to ask the obvious, this is with the switch in the "on" position?
Switch is on, as is the breaker when I test it. Not sure what happened. It carried 120v last night but nothing tonight.

Have you ever heard of a breaker just going bad? The building is about 40 years old if that helps at all. Had an electrician by today and he said that you can ground to the cold water pipe. It is not pretty, but it is safe, and it is up to code.

So my plan was to mount an electrical outlet there and ground the outlet to the cold water. BUT, how can I figure out why there is no power to it now?

Thanks so much for the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm gonna guess no.
He's replacing the disposal which means that there was a disposal there already.

Odds are that the BX is serving as ground.
That was my first guess too. I am not able to test it right now but there was nothing connected to the BX tube before. I am almost glad it went bad so I can get the issue fixed.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Had an electrician by today and he said that you can ground to the cold water pipe. It is not pretty, but it is safe, and it is up to code.
If someone told you that, they are not an electrician (at least in the US)...and if he was over, why didn't he fix it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If someone told you that, they are not an electrician (at least in the US)...and if he was over, why didn't he fix it?
I saw his credentials and he is part of one of the larger electrical companies in Colorado(Apple Wood Fix It). Why wouldn't that work? I asked a few electricians and they all agreed. They even have a kit for the process you can buy at Home Depot. And since the COLD water goes straight to the ground it makes sense to me. But I do realize I am a complete novice in these maters. Can you expand on why that would not work?

I did not have him do it because I can install an outlet if the wires are already there. So I could pay him $220 to do it or do it myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts