DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, first off I’d just like to let you know that I’m not very educated in terms of electricity so please keep that in mind with your answers. Over technical answers sometimes tend to go right over my head. Explain as if you were explaining to a child.:wink2:

After using a computer for extended periods I noticed I was always feeling this nasty sort of groggy feeling. Looking into it, I started to learn about EMF’s(electromagnetic fields), specifically man made EMF’s and the harm they can do to our brains and bodies.

Then I discovered “earthing” meaning connecting to the earths electromagnetic field to help neutralize this radiation inside us. I started off just walking barefoot on my yard and was absolutely stunned by the difference it made, so soon I was placing my hands on the grass, my forehead, and even exercising on it.

Now I would like to buy an earthing(grounding) mat for my house and my roommate would like one as well. They sell them either grounding through the ground port of your wall outlet or by using a grounding rod that runs from the mat to outside your house.

Here are my questions:
1) Is grounding through the ground port of the outlet safe? The companies that sell this say it is safe but I read a couple interesting articles the other day that say otherwise. They basically say, among other things, that the AC ground is tied to AC neutral somewhere in the home and that there is always some leakage of AC current through the AC ground and so it is not safe or beneficial to connect yourself to the earth that route. Here are the articles.

2)If in fact the ground rod is the safest way to go, what is the best way to go about this?
- In those articles they talk about a grounding rod 6 feet long, I was really hoping to avoid this and get maybe a 1 or 2 foot rod and simply pour water around it every day for maximum conductivity. Is this ok?

- They also talk about a fuse to protect from lightning strikes. I don’t see on the earthing site anything about a fuse on the cords. Is this important and how would I go about installing this? Here is a link to the earthing site

- I’m trying to figure out the best way for both my roommate and I to use a separate earthing mat. My room is the only option for the cords to run out of and into the backyard because his room is on the side by the front yard where the main underground utilities are and I don’t like the idea of sticking the rod down where it may be around lines and pipes.
I’ve already ruled out the idea of using a splitter to run both our mats to the same rod because I’d rather not be connected to someone else’s body through the same channels.
Is it ok to have 2 separate rods next to each other or will they somehow interfere with each other? I heard someone talking about Inductive coupling in a situation involving 2 grounding rods but I don’t remember the details of the scenario.

If you’ve had the patience to still be with me, thank you! Your responses will save me countless more time wandering the net searching for answers as specific as I’m looking for.

·
Super Moderator
20,915 Posts
1. The ground lug on your receptacle is if installed properly connected to a ground rod outside your house. There is no danger there. A properly install electrical system has no currents flowing on the ground wires.
As far as EMF and neutrals go that's beyond me. If you believe in EMF harming you then you have to decide if suits you.

2. Not Ok electrically. But again as for EMF that's your decision. If pounding one in that far is your problem then dig a trench and lay it sideways of try a ground plate instead of rod.

·
retired framer
38,860 Posts
1. The ground lug on your receptacle is if installed properly connected to a ground rod outside your house. There is no danger there. A properly install electrical system has no currents flowing on the ground wires.
As far as EMF and neutrals go that's beyond me. If you believe in EMF harming you then you have to decide if suits you.

2. Not Ok electrically. But again as for EMF that's your decision. If pounding one in that far is your problem then dig a trench and lay it sideways of try a ground plate instead of rod.
didn't your mother try to keep you grounded?:plain:

·
Registered
534 Posts
You're not being impacted by any EMF or electromagneticanything. Sorry. It's just an effect of sitting on your butt for too long vs getting outside and moving around. People just aren't meant to sit inside all day staring at lighted rectangles. Get up, stretch, get outside, and move around for even a few minutes of every hour and you will feel much better and not need to give any money to hucksters selling gimmicks and placebos.

·
Usually Confused
6,534 Posts
Far be from me to belie someone's believe, my first clue was "after using a computer for extended periods". Using a computer is a sedentary 'activity' with a number of muscular-skeletal issues. In addition, computer displays radiate heavily in the blue end of the visible light spectrum. There are a number of valid studies that point to these frequencies having a negative impact on sleep patterns, circadian rhythm and long term vision health under certain exposure.

Having said all of that, if spending a couple of hundred bucks on a mat make you feel better, go for it. A quick online search indicates that they utilize the building's equipment grounding circuit by plug into a standard grounded receptacle with false pins for the normal current-carrying contacts, so a properly installed circuit - which can be confirmed with a receptacle tester - will enable the mat to function as advertised. I also see no issue with any number of mats being plugged to any number of receptacle.

Personally, I would cut down on the screen time (including mobile devices) and re-introduce yourself to the world and see how that works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, another question. Will having the cord that is connected to the rod that runs into the house, going up and down the walls and into my roommates room somehow possibly cause it to pickup a current from the electricity in the wiring in the walls?

I saw a video of a man testing his body voltage with a multimeter and it went up every time he was near a power source including next to the walls where the electrical wiring ran.

Forgive me if this isn’t exactly a brilliant question. As you can see I have quite a bit to learn about electricity.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh, another question. Will having the cord that is connected to the rod that runs into the house, going up and down the walls and into my roommates room somehow possibly cause it to pickup a current from the electricity in the wiring in the walls?

I saw a video of a man testing his body voltage with a multimeter and it went up every time he was near a power source including next to the walls where the electrical wiring ran.

Forgive me if this isn’t exactly a brilliant question. As you can see I have quite a bit to learn about electricity.

THIS IS HOODOO VOODOO BALONEY, I do EMF investigations and all you are doing is in polite terms road apples.

Do you have an EMF meter?

Or more likely are you trolling this forum with bunk?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grounding(Earthing) Through an Outlet or Grounding Rod

I’m redoing this thread because I wanted to clear things up a bit plus I wasn’t allowed to post links because it was my first thread and the links are important for my questions.

Hello, first off I’d just like to let you know that I’m not very educated in terms of electricity so please keep that in mind with your answers. Over technical answers sometimes tend to go right over my head. Explain as if you were explaining to a child.

For my own reasons I would like to buy an earthing(grounding) mat to connect my body to the earths electromagnetic field. I have been experimenting with the benefits of grounding my body via walking barefoot on the earth for a while now and I’d like to now experiment with a grounding mat. Please try to resist the temptation to respond with your opinions about how the effects are placebo and what not. I’m well aware of what the placebo effect is and I always take it into consideration before trying something new. I would appreciate it very much if your responses would focus more on the practicality of my questions and not merely your own opinions on the subject.

They sell them either grounding through the ground port of your wall outlet or by using a grounding rod that runs from the mat to outside your house.

Here are my questions:
1) Is grounding through the ground port of the outlet safe? The companies that sell this say it is safe but I read a couple interesting articles the other day that say otherwise. They basically say, among other things, that the AC ground is tied to AC neutral somewhere in the home and that there is always some leakage of AC current through the AC ground and so it is not safe or beneficial to connect yourself to the earth that route. Here are the articles
https://www.fruit-powered.com/the-dirt-on-earthing-using-electrical-outlets/
http://www.fruit-powered.com/to-ground-or-not-to-ground/

2)If in fact the ground rod is the safest way to go, what is the best way to go about this?
- In those articles they talk about a grounding rod 6 feet long, I was really hoping to avoid this and get maybe a 1 or 2 foot rod and simply pour water around it every day for maximum conductivity. Is this ok?

- They also talk about a fuse to protect from lightning strikes. I don’t see on the earthing site anything about a fuse on the cords. Is this important and how would I go about installing this? Here is a link to the earthing site
https://www.earthing.com/daytime/universal-mats.html

- I’m trying to figure out the best way for both my roommate and I to use a separate earthing mat. My room is the only option for the cords to run out of and into the backyard because his room is on the side by the front yard where the main underground utilities are and I don’t like the idea of sticking the rod down where it may be around lines and pipes.

I’ve already ruled out the idea of using a splitter to run both our mats to the same rod because I’d rather not be connected to someone else’s body through the same channels.

Is it ok to have 2 separate rods next to each other or will they somehow interfere with each other? I heard someone talking about something called Inductive coupling in a situation involving 2 grounding rods but I don’t remember the details of the scenario.

If you’ve had the patience to still be with me, thank you! Your responses will save me countless more time wandering the net searching for answers as specific as I’m looking for.

·
Registered
66 Posts
IN order to be clear on this I have reposted my answer.

THIS IS HOODOO VOODOO BALONEY, I do EMF investigations and all you are doing is, in polite terms road apples.

Do you have an EMF meter?

Or more likely are you trolling this forum with bunk?

·
Very Stable Genius
4,163 Posts
I'm going to suggest the OP go back to post 9, paragraph 2. If this thread goes
for another hundred posts I doubt you'll get better advice than that.

·
Deleted Member
593 Posts
To be honest, the LAST thing I want when near anything electrical, is to be 'grounded'. Incidence may be low, but any problem with your computer case, or power supply, or anything causing there to be voltage, you are now grounded, and a VERY effective path for the current to return to your electrical panel.

The guys did give you a hard time, but they were actually giving you great advice.
Where do you stop ? What about wi-fi signals, cell phones, the computer monitor. The list goes on and on.

Humans didn't evolve this way. Google 'the effects of nature on humans'
We were meant to be bodies in motion, breathing fresh air, and being one with nature.
That will do MUCH more for your health and well-being than anything you can buy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I used to have a very intense computer heavy job. 18 hour plus days were not uncommon. I often had serious back pains, felt groggy, generally thought my health wasn't that good.
I finally took a break and went on a 10 day trip to Japan where I pretty much just walked around looking at things and sitting on mats on the floor. I was worried before going that my back pains were going to slow me down. After a couple days there was no back pain. Even with jet lag I felt great, or much better than I did at home.
I realized that my work habits weren't that good for me so I made some changes. I got a much better chair, I started taking mandatory walks every day and mandatory stretching breaks every couple hours. It worked. I felt much better and much healthier. No more back pain. Better focus. Less stress. Lost a few pounds too.
Even if you're not in a computer heavy job, these simple steps of stretching and even mild exercise will go a much longer way than anything to do with electromagnetic fields. If you're convinced you need a grounding mat, fine, try it. But at least improve the rest of the moving around regimen and then if you like, you can still say any benefits are from the mat.

·
4,080 Posts
I hope the OP does not watch any of the "Better Call Saul" shows with Jimmy's EMF sensitive brother being at his home . :)

I see they are now advertising a lift up, "sitting to standing" position desk top computer station, for people having to sit all day at their desk. Really neat ergonomically. I may get one some day. JMO

·
Super Moderator
8,866 Posts
I hope the OP does not watch any of the "Better Call Saul" shows with Jimmy's EMF sensitive brother being at his home . :)

I see they are now advertising a lift up, "sitting to standing" position desk top computer station, for people having to sit all day at their desk. Really neat ergonomically. I may get one some day. JMO
The company I work for is opening a new headquarters next week, and all the desk are adjustable.
It has a button on the left side that raises and lowers the desk.
Before the move, you had a chose, a sit down desk, ora raised desk.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts