DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm planning to run some EMT conduit sleeves with romex to protect the romex from one wall to another wall. I'm also planning on running some (separate) EMT and metallic raceway for ethernet cables. (NEC does not require the EMT sleeves to be grounded and I am unsure whether the EMT and raceway for the ethernet needs to be grounded, but I would like to ground them both anyway.) How can I ground these? Specifically, my challenge is that my short EMT sleeve for the romex will have no boxes on either end of it. Similarly, the ethernet raceway will have ethernet cables, but no ground wire (although I'm happy to add one - that's my question).

Can I, for example, run an unprotected bare copper ground wire through my house to these EMT and raceway systems and then clamp it to the EMT sleeve and also run it into a box for the raceway and ground that box with it?

Would I need two ground wires, one for each system (the romex sleeve and the ethernet raceway) or would one suffice?

Does the wire need to be bare copper, or could I run a green stranded wire?

How must I properly ground the wire? E.g., can I just directly clamp it to my main ground wire, the on that ultimately grounds my entire my service box? Do I need to attach it outside somewhere? Do I need to attach it in my main service box?

Is my question clear?

Thanks!

·
Electrician
412 Posts
I'd run a #6 ground wire, either with the green jacket or just bare. Land one end on the ground bar in main panel, and then use water pipe clamps for the appropriate size (1/2"-1" should work) and ground it that way. One ground wire for both will suffice.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So it's fine to just run a bare ground wire out of the main panel, to essentially anywhere through the house? Is it an option to clamp it to the main ground wire before it enters the service box or does everything need to go to the service box?

·
Electrician
412 Posts
I'm my area, a #6 ground wire is classified as mechanically protected, so it doesn't need armour or anything. It can be exposed. And you could clamp onto the ground wire before the panel. I would use what's called a split bolt for it. Buy one of the appropriate size if you're doing that... they're pricey though. Cheaper to go into the panel with it if you're already running the wire to the panel.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm my area, a #6 ground wire is classified as mechanically protected, so it doesn't need armour or anything.
Does anyone know if this is true in Maryland, USA? Is it commonly true?

It's true for stranded or solid, and green insulation is okay?

If the ground wire has to be protected, I guess I'd have to add a box to my conduit sleeve, for example? Any other options?

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You do not need to ground any of the nipples, I know of no reason for grounding them in the first place.

Reactions: jbfan
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.