DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have searched the forum and did not find the answer I was looking for. If this subject has been covered please direct me to the thread. Thanks!

I have a new light fixture with its own ground wire. The metal bar (hickey) has a grounding screw. The box also has a ground wire.

Every entry I read seems to have a different answer for proper grounding....here are my questions.

Q: If I am required to attach both ground wires to the grounding screw after securing with a wire nut, how?

Q: Another suggestion indicated it should be pig tailed with another bit of copper wire. If I do that, are all three wires then secured with a wire nut and then that single additional wire (the pigtail) is attached to the ground screw?

Q: I also read that I could make a "J" hook with the ground from the box, loop it about 3/4 around the grounding screw and then attach the ground wire from the fixture to the ground wire from the box and secure with a wire nut. Would that work?

Q: What if the box were plastic instead...do the same steps apply?

Thanks in advance!
Clueless in Colorado

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
The grounding wire from the supply needs to connect to the grounding wire of the fixture. Whether it be wire nutted or connected to the box or the hickey isn't that important....as long as the fixture is grounded. Find the best way and implement it.

·
Super Moderator
15,299 Posts
All the grounding conductors need to be connected together and to the bracket and box if metallic. Only one wire under the screw head. You can use pigtails to connect everything together if additional wire length is needed. You can use the 3/4 wrap method you describe.

You don't need to ground plastic boxes.

Reactions: tdtilton
1 - 3 of 3 Posts