DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New homeowner here and weekend DIYer. Changing some light fixtures in my house and in my plastic box there is one hot wire and one neutral, but the bare copper ground wire appears to be screwed to the box. To attach the ground wire from the fixture, should I unscrew this wire that is in the box and use a wire nut to connect the two grounds? Suggestions?

Will add a photo!

·
Naildriver
18,548 Posts
A ground wire to a plastic box is not doing anything. You can take that wire out from under the screw and attach it to the ground on your light fixture.

Reactions: afjes2015

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Photos for clarity. Looks like the ground is screwed to metal. Previous fixture just had the ground from the fixture connected to the green screw on the fixture mounting bracket.

·
Licenced Electrician
2,678 Posts
Leave the ground under the screw. It's there to ground anything that is mounted to that box that does not have a ground wire.

Just attach the ground from the fixture to the tail of the cable ground after the screw. Clean the wire up first.

·
Licenced Electrician
2,678 Posts
A ground wire to a plastic box is not doing anything. You can take that wire out from under the screw and attach it to the ground on your light fixture.
Typically, if a plastic box has a ground screw it has a purpose. In the pic posted, it will ground anything screwed to that metal tab. Fixture, metal cover, etc.

·
Deleted Member
837 Posts
It's a Canuck thing.
All of our PVC boxes have a bond strap in them, and we are required to bond to it.

Part of the reason is our switches don't have a ground screw (newer ones are starting to have it though)
And we don't have self-grounding receptacles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.