DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all, I'm needing a little help with my ground wire size in this eaton prl-4 I've got two sets of 4/0 aluminum feeders on the line side. Since this is the main disconnect my interpretation is that all of my gec begins here and every panel from this point on is a sub. Am I correct in my thought process? For the main gec from this panel to my ground rods spaced no less than 6 feet apart I treat this as a 250 to 500 mcm wire in table 250.66 since 2 4/0 aluminum would be around 430 mcm using a number 2 copper or 1/0 aluminum. Is my number 2 copper sized correctly?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Master Electrician
4,603 Posts
Per the NEC the conductor to grounding rods never needs to be larger than #6 Cu. Local jurisdictions may require larger conductors but usually no larger than #4 Cu.

·
Naildriver
10,596 Posts
Agree with brric. The only thing I ran across was some jurisdictions require the conductor to run continuously from their service THROUGH your base and panel to the rods. No breaks. Check local requirements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you I appreciate the input a lot I don't know how I missed the number 6 on ground rods

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts