DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My garage is run from a 60 amp breaker from house thru underground conduit with four conductors to a 12 space sub panel and wired correctly. My garage ground rod (this is new construction and wiring in progress only one ground rod recommended by inspector)is in place and my question is about connecting the #4 bare ground wire from rod to garage subpanel. I brought it thru wall near where metal conduit enters panel and connected it to both a grounding bushing on conduit as it enters panel and also attached it to panel ground bar. This seems to me to be the same effect as using a bonding screw which is not recommended for sub panel. Should I remove it from ground bar and leave attached only to the conduit grounding bushing? It will be inspected but I want to be correct when inspector arrives,
Thanks
JM

·
Naildriver
10,609 Posts
You need to use the green grounding screw through the ground buss bar. The neutrals must be isolated from the casing. Not sure if you did that or not. The #4 is connected to the large hole in the grounding buss bar and will be sufficient. Did you use pvc conduit of metal conduit?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am keeping neutrals on one side and grounds on the other. I was thinking that I shouldn't use a bonding screw on the sub panel. I will post a photo of panel in next post.
Thanks
JM

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The conduit is pvc below ground and rigid metal conduit above ground. Here is a couple photos. You can see the #4 in panel connected to both the grounding bushing and ground buss bar. So far bonding screw not in place.

Attachments

·
Naildriver
10,609 Posts
I can't tell from the picture, but it appears both buss bars are connected via a common bar across the top. If that is the case, they are isolated and you need to install a grounding buss bar to the back of the case, separate from the two you have.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. You are right they are connected. I will buy a separate ground bar. Then this bar can have the ground rod wire and remain separate from the neutrals.
JM

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,818 Posts
And ditch the green bonding screw.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks both for the help. Bought ground bar and installed. It all makes sense now. When I wired the main house 2 to 3 years ago I did a sub panel correctly as I was up to speed then but the problem with amateurs like myself is three years later you have forgotten much of what you had learned. Will try to post a photo. Have several other circuits to add but have to wait until interior walls are up.
JM

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts