DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a sperry tester to test my outlets. they all show correct. i have been told before that connecting a green wire from outlet to the box doesnt mean it is grounded but if my tester says correct does that mean i am good to good? thanks

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
What is the wiring method used in your place? Metal conduit, armored cable, or non-metallic sheathed (romex) cable?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What is the wiring method used in your place? Metal conduit, armored cable, or non-metallic sheathed (romex) cable?
armored cable it looks like, the wires that are in it are black and white with occasional red i think for swtches. my house was built in 1971 if that means anything at all

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if it is the armored cable does that mean the cable is grounded and once it touches the box that grounds the box and then the green wire to the receptical is then grounded?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there a way to know if my light switches are grounded? if the power is coming from a outlet that is grounded and the switch has the bare wire connected to the box would that make it grounded? thanks

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
Switches mounted on a grounded metal box do not need a pigtail for grounding. As long as you have metal-to-metal contact with the device yoke, and the box you are good to go.

If you have type AC or BX cable, the armor acts as the ground, and no further grounding should be necessary. Is there a small bonding strip visible at the connectors?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Switches mounted on a grounded metal box do not need a pigtail for grounding. As long as you have metal-to-metal contact with the device yoke, and the box you are good to go.

If you have type AC or BX cable, the armor acts as the ground, and no further grounding should be necessary. Is there a small bonding strip visible at the connectors?
what am i looking for exactly with a bonding strip? i know what they look like but i just want to make sure im looking for the right thing. i want to make sure everything is done properly and up to code

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can i run a wire from a receptical to the fan since the power is coming in at the switch and then to the outlet?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Go here, and play the video. You'll see the bonding strip being folded back.
yup i can see it, makes sense now. i understand how it is grounded then, thanks! what if it isnt folded back but the cable is metal on metal, like the wire broke off at the end of the metal and can not be bended back on it but the the actual metal is clamped on the box

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
AS long as the bonding strip is present, it doesn't matter what is done with the excess tail. I usually wind it in the groove of the armor. But even it it's broken off at the connector, no problem.

The main thing is looking to verify that it is indeed present.

The other aspect is that the BX has to be properly connected to the box for a good grounding connection. Using listed connectors, or built-in clamps usually accomplishes this.

IF you find that someone took that bonding strip and attempted to "ground" it to the box using a green screw, that is evidence of non-professional installation....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AS long as the bonding strip is present, it doesn't matter what is done with the excess tail. I usually wind it in the groove of the armor. But even it it's broken off at the connector, no problem.

The main thing is looking to verify that it is indeed present.

The other aspect is that the BX has to be properly connected to the box for a good grounding connection. Using listed connectors, or built-in clamps usually accomplishes this.

IF you find that someone took that bonding strip and attempted to "ground" it to the box using a green screw, that is evidence of non-professional installation....
no they had it real long and one small bend when i was pulling the line to replace the old fan and it broke off at the end everything in my house seems to be original wiring from when they built the house in 1971 so im guessing it should have been inspected and passed. i checked all my outlets and they all say they are grounded properly so i like to see that as well!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts