DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

We have a ground fault outlet in each of two bathrooms upstairs. An iron in the bathroom, plugged into another outlet, at times trips the entire circuit. Both ground fault outlets are on the same circuit... as are the lights in our third bedroom, the hallway and the hall bathroom.

Usually, I can cycle the ground fault outlets and eventually get everything back on again. Sometimes this takes awhile. I can't figure out rhyme or reason what chain of cycling the ground fault outlets get all the lights and outlets powered back up. Sometimes we just leave the switches on and a while later - hours sometimes, the lights come back on and the outlets are powered again.

But now, it's been two days. I keep cycling the ground fault outlets and waiting, but nothing on that circuit comes back on. The iron is unplugged. But the hall and bedroom and bathroom lights aren't coming on. I checked the circuit breaker panel and flipped that. And the ground fault outlets are clicking and going off and resetting as they always have.

I just can't figure out why the circuit is not coming back alive..

·
Super Moderator
22,740 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. The high current draw of the iron is opening it up. You need to check all the connections in all the devices on the circuit. Since the wiring likely works its way out from the panel, the problem is likely in one of the devices closer to the panel. It could be in a working device or the actual panel.

If any the devices are using back stab connections change them to the screws. These are the connections where the wire pokes into a hole in the back of the device to make a connection. This is not same a connection where the pokes into a hole and you tighten the screw to hold it. Many GFCI have this type of connection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.