DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Grizzly T27444 Mini Track Saw Super Kit pros and cons?

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Mort 
#1 · (Edited)
Oh boy... Was 'bout to finish this post in first place, but got lost with " you need to post one post to.." and accidentally close the window. What da idiot...
Let's start again.

G'day, gents!
First of all I wouldn't ask this question on woodworkers or any saw related forums, 'cos can predict with 99% accuracy all the answers - in range from "...but it's not Festool!..." to "... go buy Dewalt/Makita/Bosch (you name it)..."
To make it clear I couldn't afford big guys or table/miter saw - not only financially but 'cos very limited in space (currently living in apartments).
At the beginning I was browsing internet to find an ideas which will work for my needs and tools I already have. Which is nothing fancy btw, it's Ryobi 5-1/2 saw. Still working for me, but has a lots of "but" 's and "oh well" 's.
SO I was looking for a jig ideas but found this - Grizzly T27444 Mini Track Saw Super Kit
Cost $115 right now, comes with 2 24" tracks, 4 blades (will buy new one anyway), clamps.
It has 4-1/2 blades which is really small but still can make cuts up to 1-1/4 deep with tracks. In other hand if I am going to build a track for Ryobi it will bring the final cut depth to almost the same.
It has plunge action. Wouldn't try to do plunge with Ryobi unless blade is fully out - there is a lot's of plays and bends between the base and saw itself.
As same as with Ryobi I'll use it to cut mostly ply and wood up to 1" +/-.
Will get straight right angle cuts, no need to be worry 'bout base start bending at the end of the cut etc etc. Even I am using Ryobi with guide and clamps and you name it - still sometimes can get wavy on vertical cuts, rarely 100% or close to right angle.
Dust collector port is a huge plus, especially in my situation.

Problems - size and blades.
It's not easy to find 4-1/2 blade for wood, but with 7/8" arbor... Oh, boy.
But was able to find few, like this one Exchange-a-Blade 2110650 4-1/2-Inch Diameter Multi-Cutting Carbide Blade.
Not expensive, good reviews.

So back to main question.
Any ideas 'bout this model?
Any thoughts, pros, cons, personal experience if any ?
And, sorry for asking, but don't post recommendations on any Festool etc etc. Thanks in advance

See less See more
#4 ·
Used to like Grizz. but I had a planer of theirs I had trouble with and they were really no help. My friend bought one of their nailers had trouble after a couple months they told him to just buy a new one. Guess another decent company bites the dust.

Reactions: Bubbu
#7 ·
TO SeniorSitizen

Seems like I can not send you reply on your message (not enough posts) so I'll post it here.

I saw this publication long time ago, even have it in my bookmarks along side with dozens of others 'bout same subject. I like to collect data before I'll go to make first cut or start project so yeah I know 'bout home made saw guides of most different configurations and mods - you name it. Videos, pdf's, links...

But always was looking for track saw - I do like plunge and dust port :O)
All my so-called "workshop" is a bunch of tools in closet. And right now I am working on mobile bench/assembly/storage/mft table. It will be really small. I mean REALLY.
But once again I am very limited in space, so it will fit in same closet :O)
That's why I was trying to build a jig around 5-1/2 Ryobi - limited space. However I do have reg size 7-1/4 Dewalt DWE575SB but it's way too big for most of my projects and way too noisy for my neighbours .

But once again thanks. Guess I'll follow your advise and will build one myself for a meantime. Just have to figure out which one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.