DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made an offer on a short sale. The house is 5 years old, and is on an acre of land. The house has a sewage lift system, not sure if it is a grinder or not. Should the purchase of a house with a sewage system be avoided?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
That's one more maintenance item-----If the place is nice and the price is fair That feature would not be a deal breaker for me.

If you are concerned or lack any knowledge about these systems,Hiring a plumber to inspect the system before purchase would be a good idea.---Mike----

There might be a plumbers sticker on the piping inside the house---that plumber should have the inside scoop on the maintenance and age of the pump.

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
A lift system between the house and the septic tank (or sewer) requires a grinder. A lift system between the septic tank and the leach field does not use a grinder.

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
A lift system between the house and the septic tank (or sewer) requires a grinder pump. A lift system between the septic tank and the leach field uses a pump without a grinder.

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
I personally probably wouldn't buy a house with one, but only because we have so many houses in the area I work that have sewage lift pumps, and I don't want to work on them all day, and then go home and work on mine too. :laughing:

They are pretty easy to work on, though. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, especially if you really like the place.

·
Owner
998 Posts
I have made an offer on a short sale. The house is 5 years old, and is on an acre of land. The house has a sewage lift system, not sure if it is a grinder or not. Should the purchase of a house with a sewage system be avoided?
As others mentioned, it's important to do your own due diligence in having all the appropriate inspections, both standard and ancillary.

If the home is only 5 years old, you should be able to pull the original permit and schematic from your local health department. That will give you the name of the contractor that originally installed the system, as well as other important details of the system. Do some research on the contractor.

Any lift system (grinder or effluent pump) will require more maintenance obviously than a gravity system. If properly cared for and not abused they can last many years. Nevertheless, those pumps aren't cheap. A grinder pump alone can be $2,500 or more.

Again just do your homework, and have everything inspected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts