DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Chaz
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, nice forum! I was convinced to join after reading posts by Beenthere. Kudos to him for his patient help to others! I live to learn something new each day, and love to share what I have learned. This looks like the place!

I have managed property, indoors and out, for about 35 years. I currently care for a private 3500 acres estate at Mooshead Lake, Maine. Outdoor work includes landscaping, heavy equipment trades, and building construction.

Indoors includes hands-on supervision of the construction and maintenance trades. The estate I currently manage has expanded my skills into solar power, computerized building management (Alerton), Crestron and Lutron automated audio/video and lighting systems, and fiber-optic and long-range wireless voice and data communications!

If you are wondering what the heck one needs all this knowledge for in the remotest area of Maine...so do I some days. Seems my employer built one of the most sophisticated homes in the U.S. five hours from the nearest support! Which means I need to be able to fix most anything, or at least troubleshoot it and get the right people on site, quick. I would rather jump into Moosehead Lake in January than to admit we can't fix something with our on-site staff, so I'm counting on you all to keep me warm and dry, at least in the maintenance trades.

I have always worked in remote areas. Along the way I have learned a thing or two, especially how to fix most things with nothing but the ingenuity of my crew. Hopefully I can pass something on. And working in private service for 8 years sort of forces you learn some really interesting things about the toys that my employers like to play with. Anyone need to know how to fire a 2" cannon??

Sorry if I've been a bit long in the tooth, but things tend to get boring about this time in the Northwoods. Cabin fever is starting to set in, even though it is above zero today and sunny. I shall let you go and finish tweaking my radiant heat, having gleaned enough here to continue.

BFN,
Chaz

·
Chaz
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Forum!
Thanks Brickie! I don't care if it's loose stone or formed concrete--dang, that's brutal work. I've done just enough masonry in my lifetime to say "God bless you lads that do it full time"!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts